9.9 Help...

Thanks again for all the input. I likely won't have a chance to get it in the water again until Friday after work. I'll report back then, hopefully with better news.

Well, I put the motor back in the water based on my theory that I had 'forgot' to vent the gas tank. As Lee suspected, same deal. So in the shop it went. I actually just got off the phone with the service center and my motor is done. I took it in Saturday afternoon so I'm really pleased with the turn-around time. The fix was a new carb kit. He said it was all 'gummed' up and the gaskets were toast. I won't be able to pick it up until Tuesday and I'm excited to get it on the boat. I'll tell ya, it wasn't cheap but at least I know it should be 'good-to-go'!

Ryan,

That's good to hear. Like I said I really liked the one I had. I wish the Johnsons had a shallow running ratchet system like the Merc's. Should be a good motor for the Broadbill.

Hope you have a good season with the new boat.

Ed L.

Ryan, Always use " outboard Sta-Bil " in your fule.. worst thing to do is hang up a motor and leave untreted fule in the motors fule system. I'm sure everyone here will agree. Happy boating and hunting. Oh yeah, and always carry a new set of plugs in your boat.

Picked up the motor last night. The tech ran it in the tank for me to show me how it runs. A world of difference. I'm going to try and get it out tonight or tomorrow for a run.

Lee - They accidentally left the impeller off the work order... I talked to the tech and he told me that a weak 'pee' stream coming out the pee hole is the sign of an impeller about to go bad. I've got a good steady stream so he 'suspects' my impeller is 'ok'. I don't even know what the hell the impeller does, so I said "mmmkay". Does that sound right?

The impeller is a star shaped wheel that is made of rubber and it is what pumps the water up through the engine. It COULD be ok if it hasn't been too long since it's been changed. The problem is that the rubber can break down and get brittle causing at the least...no water and at the most it can come apart and plug water passages in the motor. It is really easy to change by yourself if you think it has been a while (3-4years) since it's been serviced. I always change them when I get a used motor just for piece of mind...it's one of the most important things on the motor 2nd to oil in the gas. Not trying to scare or bum you out, if your mechanic will fix your fried powerhead because he passed the impeller...go for it. Glad to hear it's running good..the real test will be on the lake..take your gps and see how fast you can go before getting scared.

I'm with Harker...

I wouldn't stress about it, but I'd still do it. It is well worth the peace of mind - what is that saying about an ounce of prevention...?

I don't recall what the kit costs, but it can't be that much. Well under $50 if I recall correctly.

I've only done a handful (4-5), but they're generally a pretty easy job if you like to work on things. The only tricky part seems to be the linkage can be fiddly - not hard, just fiddly. My tohatsu has a roll pin setup that is a pain to work with - others I've had in the past had a more user friendly threaded rod linkage setup which I liked better.

Then again, an outboard mechanic I trust says to not replace them till the fail. Easy to say when you have a yard full of backup motors though... I only have one motor, so I tend to try to take extra good care of it. I got a good deal that I dont think I'll find again any time soon, so if this one goes it is so-long outboard...

Charlie

Ok..I think all you have to do to drop the lower unit is loosen the bolts around it, unclip a little clip to the right of the carb(as you are looking at the carb) and drop the lower unit. Then you can work on the waterpump..reverse to re-install. The 25 Mariner I had was the easiest motor I ever changed an impeller on. The hardest part was getting the shift shaft back up through the little hole.

If you don't...go here and click on schematics..9.9 and look for your serial number range. Does yours shift with the tiller handle?

http://www.marinepartsman.com/

Lee,

I hadn't seen that site before. Good info there. One to bookmark for sure. Not to mention interesting artwork!...;-)

elvgren-outboard-motorSm.jpg

Got the boat out for a bit yesterday on the river. Motor ran great! Unfortuanatley, I forgot the GPS in the truck so I don't have my speed. It jumps on plane real quick and it didn't feel like it wanted to porpoise. I still had some throttle left when the 'pucker' factor started to kick in.

Man, it felt great to cruise around the river a bit in my home built boat. Saw some geese, mallards and three deer coming down for a drink.

Back