A few pictures from Charlie Foulds boat project

Tod,

I read someplace (Jacques Mertin's site maybe) that saran wrap is a poor man's peel ply. Any thoughts on that?

Charlie

C,

I don't know about that, I just used the real stuff, it isn't that expensive. One feature of peel ply is the weave lets epoxy through, there is some magic going on with it it that it wicks the exoxy around/through to even everything out.

For anyone who is thinking of trying, I got mine from Raka. It is just a tight weave fabric. I cut to size (equal to length of the fillet and 6" wider). If there are wrinkles or creases in the fabric, you need to quickly iron. freshly ironed is just wonderful to work with. Put it on the fillet and squeegee out the excess expoxy. Let cure and pull off leaving a tight fillet with the glass weave gone and wonderfully faired in.

Charlie...very nice work on the boat!

As for the US Composites epoxy and blush. I've used US Composites on about 15 boats now and I've seen some blush. It happens most when the epoxy cures in a cool humid environment. I get alot of it in the winter months when working in my shop that will only heat to about 60-65 degrees with a gas heater. As for what it looks like, if you hold your head right you can see it, its an oily look on the finish. Its easier to tell if you have it by rubbing your fingers over the cured epoxy, if it feels oily or waxy there's some blush. Its VERY easy to remove with a scotch brite pad and warm water. Its easy enough that if I wait until a complete cure before apply another coat, glass, etc... I'll scrub it down. You can also tell if theres blush if your sander pads are gunking up quickly.

Again, great work.

Brad

Tod, When you use the peel ply will it make the selvage on the fiberglass tape disappear as well. Is there a certain way that one should fillet, keel and chine first and then bulkheads or bulkheads and then keels and chine

Brandon,Yes I supported the extensions and made sure they were level. Yes I would go with 12' for the build just easier to walk around.

Tod, When you use the peel ply will it make the selvage on the fiberglass tape disappear as well. Is there a certain way that one should fillet, keel and chine first and then bulkheads or bulkheads and then keels and chine

Peel ply will minimize selvage edge as much as anything, it will fair the junction of the glass and hull nicely.

That sounds good Tod. I cut my own 6" fiberglass tape out of my roll to eliminate the selvage. I am not satisfied with the way that it unravels and becomes uneven as you wet it out,so I am going to order the tape. I am working inside the sponsoons so it will not effect the appearence of the boat.

I used peel ply with biax on my snowgoose and if it does a good job with that it will with regular tape.

Back