A Good Couple Days

Craig F

As has been with this season if you want to get in on 'quality' gunning you need to try to take advantage of these little cold snaps we get. We finally got another over the past couple days with temps in the teens and a good snow storm this past weekend. Gunning in the blinding snow and wind is certainly not for the faint of heart, but the rewards can be worth it. As luck would have it the cold weather also brought on a nice push of migrating mallards and we welcomed them with open decoy spreads and hevi metal #3s. I had one memorable hunt where I had my four mallards in short order and got to watch them pour into the spread for a half hour straight, pretty incredible. Anyway it looks like temps will be moderating big time as the week goes on (60 on Thursday?!) so we'll be back to hoping for another cold snap before it all ends.

My other really nice surprise was getting a text yesterday evening to check Benelli's social media feed as I had won their 'Grand Prize' for their ongoing contest. Really unbelievable. That pintail is the gift that keeps on giving.

37949B65-4E12-4D4C-81D8-5DEA68607751.jpeg

7DC5C3E1-EB29-4A89-B3AB-19F9BDB29727_1.jpg

EE91A06B-209E-4E75-8758-4659490BD4B1.jpg

2ED0CD29-750F-40DE-A3CD-62068B40D479.jpg

96C0B876-DA6E-484E-9F8A-20933602DFC9.jpg

454A1FF4-C970-46E7-B832-71791EF07B9B.jpg

Congratulations Craig on winning the Benelli contest as well as on the great hunting day that you had in the NJ marsh. Keep those pics and videos coming.

Really not sure how you can beat that, "new" ducks, hunting in the snow AND winning a new shotgun.
Maybe you shoulda bought a lottery ticket last week!

Last edited:
Yes, keep those cards and letters and videos coming. We are done in Eastern Upstate New York and vicariously enjoy your posts, especially since many of us up here are transplanted shore gunners.

I've got some really good footage from this season, not sure I'm going to do a full season video for public consumption but will certainly put some highlights out in the near future!

I've got some really good footage from this season, not sure I'm going to do a full season video for public consumption but will certainly put some highlights out in the near future!

Smart move Craig....I do miss the photos of you in the BBSB in the marsh tho...

My poor sneakbox is sitting in the yard covered with a tarp waiting for me to buy a house with a two car garage...

Craig, Your so right when you say temp & snow & ice make a big difference when it comes to good puddle duck shooting , Thanks for the pictures, & congratulation on winning the Gun Stay in touch,

Absolutely nothing better than hunting in the snow IMO. It is my favorite time to be out for many reason. I've been fortunate to experience what you have - got the shooting done early and just watched the ducks continue to land in the dekes. Doesn't get any better than that.

Pintail is gorgeous. Shooting a nice drake has been on the bucket list of mine for some time. Hope the season continues for you.

Mark W

Craig, I'm posting here to remind you why we endure the bad times. The fleeting good hunts make the grind worthwhile. My hunting buddies are dipping out on me as the outlook looks bleak for the remainder of our season. I'm glad this forum has some other diehards who share my drive (or possibly lack of reason).

Arthur, I responded in the other thread too, but I'm running a 12ft Roy Schellinger high boat these days. I still have my Bob Fricke sneakbox, but have been using the Roy boat pretty much exclusively since I bought it last year.

17347598-6DFA-42D7-925B-CFE173ACDE6F.jpeg

Back