A rack for those extra shells

Steve Sanford

While gunning from Craig Kessler's 17-foot TDB last weekend, I could not help but notice that all but one of the original "shell racks" was broken. So, amongst the Christmas carvings and other projects - as wll as some spotty gunning hereabouts - I made these racks today - for Craig's boat. In some earlier boats, I had bored shell holders right into the "lip" on my shelves. I used 5/4 stock for the lip at the time. These are made to fasten (deck screws will be fine) right to the existing shelf.

Here's a sketch. I used 5/4 White Pine. No magic here - just easy to do when I'm in my own shop - and no out-of-pocket expense.

9ShellRack-post_zps43eaa1c5.jpg

I made 4 and mass-produced as much as I could. Unlike the factory racks, these allow the bullets to stick up where I can grab them more easily.

1_zps9f953c26.jpg

I used a 7/8" Forstner bit - but a spade bit would work. I tried 13/16" but it was a bit snug - likely to bind if the wood swelled just a bit. These are for 12 gauge, of course.

I set the fence on my drill press so I stayed on the centerline.

2_zpsa86ff312.jpg

I used a 1/4" Forstner to drill scuppers in each - just in case. I probably should have drilled these before the larger holes.

3_zpsd7475ecc.jpg

I used a 1/8" bit for the slip holes for the fasteners - then I countersunk them.

4_zpsa47b0554.jpg

The band saw rounded the corners.

5_zps39efc75f.jpg

A few seconds on the belt sander...

6_zps507862a9.jpg

Then a bit more by hand...

7_zpsbc956ffb.jpg

After the duckboat paint dries, it's duck loads on the left and goose loads on the right - ready to install.

8_zpsade47a12.jpg

All the best,

SJS

ill be making some of these during my lunch break today I have a few blinds they would fit great in

Steve:
When you spend time in your Duck Boat you have time to modify, improve & build a better mouse trap. Great idear, simple but effective. Have a Great Wildfowl Season !!!!

Will these be exposed to the elements? If so, can rain collect inside of them or do you have a small drain hole in each holder?

Tom~

4th photos shows me boring a 1/4" scupper dead center in each hole - for the very reason of draining any errant water. I believe they are pretty much out of the weather in the TDB 17 - but no reason not to drain them. In fact, using a spade bit to bore the 7/8" holes will drill the drain hole at the same time.

All the best,

SJS

Back