A slice of heaven for a.............

Dave Parks

guy who lives out in the country with the critters! Judy and I enjoyed a 4 hour visit to the new Sportsmans Warehouse in Medford. We both agreed that the place has a tendency to take up a lot of our time and shopping in the fiture. They have a lot of things we need and a lot more things that we don't need, but want!

This is one corner of the store that has decoys, duck hunting accessories and more cases of shotshells than I saw at the Boise, ID. Cabelas store.
SportHouse-1.jpg

It's going to be nice to finally have a place that carry's everthing under one roof.

Dave

Dave,

Went to the Cabela's opening in Reno last weekend. I think I like Sportsmans Warehouse better. It's definitely easier to get to for me. I also thought they had more shells then the Cabela's store. For that matter a little more duck hunting stuff.

Tight Lines ... Fred

That's neat.....now you have two places to spend your money at. Was there any truth to the rumor that the new Reno Cabelas was to also be a shipping warehouse for the West Coast?

Ketcham and his son made the run up to shoot Crowley last week-end just to turn around and drive back to Huntington Beach. About 12 hours round trip! He said there was no wind, too warm and no birds to speak of. He passed it up again this weekend due to no birds yet.

Rick said that if this lack of birds continues, he's going to take his friends offer to head for Patagonia, AZ. for a 5 day Mearns hunt with his buddy's 3 dogs.

I told Rick it will be about two more weeks before the birds start showing up in numbers. It will start in a few days when that Canadian weather drops down into Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. The highs on Tuesday will start being at ZERO and minus ZERO for a few days and that will freeze all the potholes and ice over the smaller rivers like the Milk. Then you'll start seeing birds on Crowley and in the Owens Valley.

I hear you guys had about the longest fall fishing that you've had in years, what with all teh warm weather late into the Fall. I think Rick said it was 62 at Crowley last weekend. Pretty warm for mid-November.

Best,

Dave

Dave:
Coming home from rifle hunting we stopped at Sportsmans warehouse in Appleton, Wi. My first time in one and I was really impressed. I was able to buy 28 gauge shells there--(they were out of Bismuth)--the cheapest I've ever seen. The man running the archery dept offered to rig up my Draw Loc for my bow for free and he actually knew what I was talking about. Unfortunately I didn't have my bow with me and it was too far to drive back for. You're right, their selection of amo was the most varied I've seen including Cabellas, and Gander Mt. Wish it were closerl--it's a 3 hour drive for me.
wis boz

Dave,

Your right about the weather and the lack of birds. Fishing has been incredible until the season ended. We still have the upper Owens and lower Owens, Hot Creek and the East Walker River to fish all winter. If this weather prevails through winter I will be doing lots of fishing.

The only ducks I heard about were in the Lower Owens River Project area. And even those birds seem to be gone. Nothing going with the ducks until we get some weather up north to bring birds through the area. Going to give Crowley a shot on Friday just to go hunting. Want to get the boats and gear out.

Pray for weather and send us some birds.

Tight Lines ... Fred

ever notice how sportsmans whearehouse and cabelas are alot like walmart same general layout too every one of there stores and lots of stock just an observation
how ever id did got too the new cabelas in lacey day after thanksgiving sales aver deke bags $9.99 gota lov it

There is some sound reasoning for all the "Chain Stores" layouts and designs being the same. These company's have spent big money over the years to design their stores in a way that helps sell their stock. Everything they sell is in that spot for a reason...."SALES". It is amazing what their people have discovered over the years to increase sales just by placing items in a certain way. When you have millions tied up in stock in each store you can't afford to let anythig collect dust on it. There is not 2 square inches in these stores that is wasted space.

Sportsmans Warehouse prices run from good to fair, but a lot of their stuff is just a standard retail price and people that can't find those specialty items will pay the higher prices on the spot becasue they are saving on shipping costs. On the higher priced items I find all the Outdoor stores are about the same.

It's nice to have a place nearby that has all the goodies we like in stock.

Dave

If I didn't know better that is the same store as the one here in Anchorage. A second glance shows me that the archery department is too close to the ammo tables, but that appears to be the same flock of landing Canada's over the ammo. They are missing the ice fishing gear where the pontoon boats are, but then not much ice fishing down there.

And yes they have trukey decoys up here. No trukeys to hunt except to some feral ones down on the Kenai. They have yet to stockup on any bass lures and catfish bait, but you can still buy those at Walmart up here.

Back