A5 Belguims

clinton andrus

How many of the members here are still hunting with the A5?

And what do you find to be the best pattering load from your gun?

I have a 1972 belguim mag duck full choked, I have been useing the fiocchi 3in #3s and have been pleased.

I had to retire mine a couple of years back, the safety(mine was at the front of the trigger guard) wore out and could not get parts to fix it. I believe it was a 50's model, modified choke with 28" barrel. Shot lots of different shells through it.

Yea I love my old a5 so much I found me anouther barrel that matched what it has so if ever I do shoot the choke out I got a new barrel waiting for it.

I love my remington and my beretta but for me nothing kills ducks like the old humpback.

I had to retire mine a couple of years back, the safety(mine was at the front of the trigger guard) wore out and could not get parts to fix it. I believe it was a 50's model, modified choke with 28" barrel. Shot lots of different shells through it.

Greg,

I worked as a gunsmith about 35 years ago. We used to call those front triggerguard safeties, "Suicide safeties". It might be fixable.

I shoot a 1956 I believe, Belgium A5, Had to replace the barrel, the rib split. I have a 28 " modified. I run at least a case of shells through it each year with no problems, I love the black cloud 2 3/4 inch 3's, they pattern great through it.

I shoot one. A 1950s light twelve choked skeet for the timber. kent faststeel number 4 run two cases each season through it.

Hi Jeff

thank you for that. I would like to get it fixed but don't see myself going back to it full time, because I bought myself a new Benelli Vinci last fall. But the old A-5 would still be a nice spare.

I have (2) A-5 Mag Browning 12 Gages, great guns. One is Belgium and the other Made in Japan, the Belgium came with two barrels and I managed to pick up a Hasting Barrel with Choke system at the Tulsa gun show several years ago to shoot steel shot.
Love to shoot the A-5 over Goose decoys shooting 3" Tungsten in # 1. John Browning must have made this gun just for me, comes up better than my Beretta or Benelli. Can not beat the square back design.
Dennis S. (Rio Rancho, NM)

I have two as well.....both Belguim models.....one is a '52 the other a '56. Both see action and I too put about a case of shot a year through them combined. One is a full choke and the other modified. I shoot Winchester Xpert out of them.

Belgium or Jap, makes no difference to me.

In the Belgium Light 12's I shoot Hevi or Bismuth. Mostly steel in the Jap Stalker, but if I need a little more length I'll shoot Hevi out of a tighter choke.
Sweet 16 gets Bismuth
Magnum 20 is Jap so I'll shoot anything through it.

CAD66F17-6FBE-40E5-B300-C38968B1BEE6_zpsyg5mtkey.jpg

Last edited:
Clinton,

I have three Liege guns in 12 gauge, one of each; 12 gauge standard, 12 light, 12 Mag. I had a "Sweet Sixteen" with a straight stock 'grip it and rip it' but it was unfair to the quail. I unfortunately, abandoned it. Whence, I decided to shoot an Ansley H. in twenty gauge, grade XE, with 26" tubes, IC/IM. The quail were imperatively and equally deceased. C'est la vie!

As for your S/S Belguim, I'd be curious to the problem? What's up?

jeff

Not sure im following you Jeff.

I dont own a S/S, the gun i posted about is the A5 belguim mag duck and there isnt anything wrong with it at all.

Was just looking to see how many of the members here still use the ole humpback and what kind of shells they use throw theirs is all.

I still find it funny that every year at least once someone im hunting with is going to get all uptight and upset that I shoot steel shot throw my A5, saying im going to ruin the gun shooting steel shot.

I have shoot steel throw mine since I first got it many years ago and the choke restriction has remained a tight full, now I did buy anouther barrel just incase something should ever happen I will have a spare barrel.

Also something I alsways wondered about but never checked up on, my barrel is marked special steel.

Would any member here who uses a A5 know what that stamping means?

I have three: my dad's old 12 3" magnum, 16 gauge 28", and a 20 3" vent rib 28" modified, all FN manufactured.

Back