?? about cedar decoy repair

Eric, Lee, Chuck, Josh and others,

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I had tossed around several different methods from minimal intrusion to full blown intrusion up to and including hollowing. I wasn't sure the hollowing would do much at this stage in the game.

I guess I need to first find out if I have a gem before attacking it with any tool.

Still open to leads as to the original carver.

PS. If Jeff had been a little nicer in the beginning, I may have just handed him the whole thing for his birthday, little but NOOOOOOO he had to be a little smarty pants, I get no respect from him at work either.

Last edited:
Hi !! The decoy was carved by the late Eastern Michigan carver Paul Kuperschmidt in the early 1980's. He , like Ron and Doug Snow and many Michigan carvers used small Cedar logs that were just split in halves. They seem to crack but it doesn't hurt their huntability. I personally have carved many solid decoys from cedar that I bought from Paul. To repair, I just take the keel off and pour a little Weldwood #3 glue in the crack. That usually will stop the splitting. That decoy looks like one that Paul carved for me and I later sold.I still have a few of Pauls decoys in my Carving and boat shop.
Paul was only in his 50's when he passed away. He was a great guy !!
Bob Hayden

Dave,

It looks like the screws from the keel attachment may have contributed to the crack. I have been working with waterproof Gorilla Glue. Maybe that would work in the crack without major intrusion to the wood. It does EXPAND and fill voids.

One question? Are those your pink bed sheets???

Nice Michigan decoy. Gun it.

RVZ

Thanks Bob for your informative reply. It is always nice to know the whole story. The decoy is in fact carved from a cedar log, or at least that was my conclusion upon inspection.

Thanks again.

Rod,

The keel is only attached using finish nails. I will most likely change that during the repair. I thick filling the crack with and adhesive, epoxy or otherwise will be my choice of repair.

One question? Are those your pink bed sheets???

Why do you ask? ;>) ;>)

Dave,

I have to respectfully disagree with your dado idea too.

I agree with Harker the usual method on this is to go to the farthest point of the crack, drill in and insert a dowel that is epoxied in. Subsequently, using thinned epoxy, run that into the crack from stem to stern and keep filling it until it will not soak up any more. Then, use thickened epoxy to finally fill the crack. Sand, paint, hunt.

Otherwise, simply pour in some spar varnish in the crack and say to heck with it and hunt it as is.

Let us know what you decide, then next year send us pics of it at the end of the year

solids AND hollows will do it! all of the above on what you proposed will work, Dave---problem with solids is that they take forever to really dry out--have fun--save the solids!!!

Back