Aluminum floor for 16' Crestliner Jon boat

Paul Crawford

Has anybody installed an aluminum floor for their boat? I am looking to install a floor in my boat and i would rather not do wood. I live in the Pacific NW and as you can imagine it rains a ton. I was thinking that even if the cost was more to install a aluminum floor it would be worth it cause it wouldn't rot. I was thinking of wrapping the aluminum with vinyl and installing it with pop rivets to the ribs.

Any recommendations on the certain gauge of aluminum? Any thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks

Paul

I put a aluminum floor kit into my boat, it was from the mfg. I used plain old sheet metal screws on mine so I can take it out to clean under the floor. They have held up OK but the brackish water and vibrations tend to wallow the holes out after a while. This summer, I need to drill new holes or put larger screws in the existing ones.
My kit came with foam to put under the floor & between the ribs. This cuts down on noise as well as adds support under the floor, allowing you to use a little lighter plate than if the foam was not there.
My boat stays out in the rain & weather, so l think the aluminum floor is a better choice than wood. I've been really happy with mine. You may want to check & see if you can get a kit from Crestliner.

Paul,

I put an aluminum floor in my Starcraft jon boat before I owned it (bought it from my hunting partner). We used 1/8" aluminum deck plate bolted down with 1/4" stainless bolts in threaded inserts that are installed similar to pop rivets. We drilled out the deck plate to 11/32" to allow the boat to flex and move without the holes in the floor working on the bolts. So far no problems with bolts coming loose. We didn't put any foam underneath to allow for hosing the debris out from under the aluminum floor.

Jim S

Carl,

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought of looking to crestliner for a floor kit... Do you have any problems with traction, slipping around and stuff? I was thinking that maybe instead of covering the aluminum with vinyl that i could do the roll on bed liner to keep from slipping. Although it might be pretty hot in the summer time for bass/salmon fishing. I appreciate your time.

Paul

Jim,

I was thinking of going to a sheet metal shop to find the aluminum sheeting if Crestliner doesn't have a floor kit like Carl suggested. Is this how you found the aluminum sheeting? if not what where would you suggest going or how did you acquire your materials?
Thanks

It came with non-skid paint on it. A lot of that has rubbed off from hard use but even then, no problems with it being slippery.
I've heard of guys putting the non-skid coating on but i don't think you need it.

I should add that my boat is a 1997 model & the floor has been in there since 1998. Given the amount of use (30+ days a year) and abuse (brackish water) it takes, the floor has held up very well.

Aluminum diamond plate then roll on DIY bedliner stuff. (Herculiner brand cost about $40 a gallon) Got the aluminum in my boat but water and oil together are still pretty slick. I'm planning on the bedliner stuff before duck season.

Back