Ammo

Just wanted to see what different ammo people use.
Last season I tried Hevishot Hevi Metal 3 1/2 # 2...I usually pick up a case in the begining of the year.
I hunt mostly puddle duck and divers.. Before I put my order in, wanted input..
I'm sure you guys have opinions.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Mike-I had been using Remington Wingmaster HD for the past few years, and Bismuth No-Tox before that, and Kent Tungsten Matrix before that. I have steadily moved down in shot size to #6. You don't need anything bigger than that if you are using premium non-toxic stuff. This year I found a deal on hevishot 6's for about 15 a box since there is no Wingmaster HD around anymore. I hunt coastal marshes in NJ and have found that it is pretty lethal out beyond 40 yards, although I am not so that is my limit on ducks. I also use them on snow geese in the late winter and they are just as effective as larger sizes. I shoot only 2-3/4 and that is plenty for pretty much everything.

I use the $100 a case Federal 3 inch in #2 for ducks and BB for geese - these are the 1550 FPS shells and they work great!

I shot kent 3inch #4's all last season with my 870 and a modified choke and liked the way they worked for me at 13.99 a box I will stick with em. You need to see what patterns well in your gun. My buddy likes winchester shells and they pattern well with his mossberg but they pattern like doo doo in my gun. See what works for you.

Winchester Xpert with a patternmaster.
Have some hevishot that I have been meaning to try for the last two years.
Maybe I will actually try it this year.

Fasteel 3" #3's @1560 for pretty much all over-decoys stuff, Fasteel 2 3/4" #4's for jumpshooting, and I keep a box of Hevishot 3" #2's for geese in my blind bag. Sometimes when it's possible to get into ducks and geese at the same time I'll run a 3" #3 on top, then a 3" #2 and last a 3 1/2" BB in case some geese decoy in. All this is shot through an 870 Super Mag and a factory Mod choke, my gun seems to really like the Kent shells over most other brands.

Just wanted to see what different ammo people use.
Last season I tried Hevishot Hevi Metal 3 1/2 # 2...I usually pick up a case in the begining of the year.
I hunt mostly puddle duck and divers.. Before I put my order in, wanted input..
I'm sure you guys have opinions.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike
I would have to agree with what Greg Setter had to say to you. When I first began shooting ducks, I thought the largest shell I could shoot was the best. Now all I shoot at ducks are 2 3/4 inch Dove loads. I like #7 shot steel. Most of my shooting is between 20 and 30 yards. Rarely will I take a shot beyond that distance.
Al

I agree Al, less is more. Last year was the best year I have ever had for ducks and I shot all my ducks and one goose with a 20 ga. and Kent Fasteel, 3" #4 steel. I also carry a few Hevi-shot #2 or 4 for geese and did get one cackler with them. The 20 ga. worked so well (very few cripples also) that I am going to bring out the 28 ga. more this year. If you let the birds work as they should you will get better, closer, shots and fewer cripples.

To be clear, I have one of the original SBE's and it just sits in the rack now - no need to get pounded with a 12 ga when my 20 does everything I want it to do.

3" Black Cloud
#4 for early teason woodies, teal and a few bigger ducks
#2 for later season when its all big ducks and geese at the same time
BB for straight goose hunting

I've shot the expensive loads and I don't think they work any better than Black Cload. But I also couldn't get past Bang, Bang, Bang; there went $10.
I've also shot Kent Faststeel and Winchester Expert, but seem to have more cripples. But my dad likes the Winchesters and my uncle likes. So I would suggest patterning different loads in your gun with differnt chokes. Find the one that patterns best that also best fits your wallet.

Last edited:
I am headed in the direction of Pete and Al...had been shooting 3" 12 ga #3 lately, just picked up some 2 3/4" #4 steel...smallest shot size I can find locally...as we have no Dove season here (dont' get me started). Brand really comes down to what patterns best in YOUR gun. I am keeping my eye out for a 20 gauge for the right price.

Chuck

Mike,
Mark started it around here back early on. Decoy them in right close and shoot them with small shot. Any 2 3\4 will do. Under 30 yards they fall right out of the sky.
Dosnt work on long pass shooting that the long shell is trying to handle.
For me now it is a lot more about getting hidden well so the birds are locked in and feet down right in front.
I still like my 10 ga for the nostalgia but reload mouse loads for it to shoot once or twice a year.

Like Pete, I'm going to a 20ga o/u this year. I bought a case of 2 3/4" Faststeel 4's. I guess we'll see.

Take care,

Ed L.

I purchased a few boxes of the new Remington Hyper Sonic shotshells rated at 1700 fps and have found that they work well. I will use more this year to get a better handle on them.

I use Remington Nitro-Steel in 2 and 3/4. I usually load #6, #4, #2 in that order. I have very few cripples. I like getting them in close and taking them with the six shot, the four and two are for them moving away and getting some altitude. Very rarely ever use 3 inch and never use non-tox. They are (fairly) inexpensive compared to everything else that is out there and they work. Not really a "neatest, newest, got to have it" kind of guy. I just stick with what works for me.

dc

Not to change the subject but has anyone tried or going to try the new Winchester Blindside shells. I'm happy with Black Cloud and fine Federal ammo shoots great out of my 11-87. But I'm just curious to see what people are saying about it. The same goes for Remington's HyperSonic Steel.

I have shot Kent fasteel 3" #3 for the past five years or so. Towards the end of last season I couldn't find any and purchased some Remington loads. They held up much better in the salt water and seemed to knock them down the scoters with my 870 better than the Kents. I have not patterned them yet but I bought a case anyway. I don't take long shots so I don't think matters all that much.

Mostly all sea duck hunting, Kent Fast Steel...3-1/2 #2's although my next case will be #3's and a box of 7's for chasing cripples.

Kevin,wendell be cearfull with the hypersonic steel a member on here posted a pic of his friend who had his barrel blow up check out the old post. But I put it in as super sonic. I used a box last year to see what all the hype was about. Nothing great at 1700fps my kent fast steel is at 1560fps I thought the extra 140fps wasn't worth the extra $8 a box. I also didn't see a difference with them still killed ducks. I came to the conclusion its not the shell its the shooter

Back