anchoring decoys

Jeff Gilbert

I have a dozen and 1/2 new puddle duck decoys that I need to rig with decoy anchors. Wanted to get opinions on different anchoring types. In the past we've used the J-style anchor with stretch bungee and wrapped around the keels, storing them together in a large decoy bag. Have you used the Rig 'Em Right style of anchor where the decoy line has a loop which you fasten to a carabiner ring for transporting?

Mostly hunt small lakes, potholes and creeks in Washington.

the only time I have done that was hunting down in Texas with a guide. He would rig about 25 decoys at a time that way and then clip them to the cage on his airboat. It was pretty slick.

I have had many different types of lines/anchors. The kind I like the best is to use "Tangle free" and their tanglefree weights. They don't tangle when you drop them in the bag. Its easy to deal with. I have also used long line type weight/lines. I use that on my expensive ones. I just put about 2 ft of line in each decoy and attached a clip to the end. I drop an anchor at one end, row my boat around and clip a decoy onto it now ant then. The line sinks. The 2 ft line on the decoy allows the dog to swim over the rig without getting tangled in it. It sure makes picking them up easy. You just sit at one end and just pull them in unclipping them as you go. I drop those into a special bag that I have with individual pockets for each one.

I am not sure there is a "best way" to do it.

I have used strap weight on 5-6' lines ever since I started. I hunt everything from potholes to open water of Mobile Bay and Mississippi Sound, sometimes with 9 dzn dekes. It takes a while to setup and pick up all singles but I dont mind. When I am duck hunting, I am normally not in a hurry anyway.

I use the J anchors and slotted bags. If I'm hunting where I know how deep the water is, I'll adjust the length of anchor line the night before. By putting the anchor in the pocket inside the slot and then putting the deke in the slot keeps them tangle free. Setting the spread is a snap, grab a deke with one hand and anchor with other and toss overboard. Although I do have the bungee straps on them I usually don't wrap around the keel anymore since I switched to the slotted bags. I really like the compact anchor size. I have a large block of aluminum that I'm going to have dad mill into j anchor molds, 8 oz and 16 oz for goose, then I'll recycle my other anchors into j anchors.

Back