Anither NOOB question.

Ron Jones

Pardon me, but when I joined a board about duck hunting I assumed I would see more posts about duck calls. I have seen one or two nice examples of calls made on here, but not much talk of using them. Do you not use calls on sea ducks?

Thanks
Ron

I use mine for a few purposes...I hang it around my neck...slows me down when I am trying to get snacks out of my jacket pocket...get multiple calls for that cool Mr. T look...also, when I notice it floating in front of me, I know I'm about to go over the top of my waders and should head back towards shore. The best use however is for scaring away Mallards when I have reached my limit...I hate having those pesky things swimming around in the decoys while I'm waiting for another species to come by.

Seriously though, I don't think guys call sea ducks (not that I have any experience with sea ducks, but you weren't getting any responces)

Chuck

You joined a forum about duck boats hence the name. Some guys use a call but for the most part it is about lots of decoys and location , location , location. Some guys will use a flag.

Calling is not important for divers and seaducks, being in the right location is the most important factor in successful hunting.
And as far as puddle ducks, I have found the same to be true as well.
I have duck calls and occasionally will actually use one, but they are probably the least important part of my gear.
But then I dont hunt timber holes for mallards or goose hunt either.

Old squaws are vocal and sometimes respond to a human call, but have never seen an "Old Squaw" call. As far as eiders and scoters, Decoys and Location, as Mike stated.

Tell me where I can buy an old squaw call and I'll use it along with my flex-tone bb call when I hunt Rehoebeth bay in Del.I can't seem to find one in any stores around here or on the net.

hey ron ,
i have for years been searching for seaduck calls ,never found any only a modified puddle duck call once..and it was close tot he right sound..
i learned to imitate everything using my own voice you can blame them puppets lol...but seriously i couldnt afford to buy a call is why..spend some time listening to the birds and try your luck you mite be surprized...as are many fellas that have never heard a fella call them withthere own voice..before..

the best thing about using your voice

no mud or muck in your call nor ice or sand when you need it,,,

or its not caught on anything or stuffed in your coat or waders...

its always ready ...

practice ,practice with the birds is the best....

and by the way you will be ridiculed and laughed at all the time ...

but you will have a few days

like when ;

the fellas were all out in the dekes caught in the act of trying to get there calls.... i said get down dont move...

and started quacking ,,,,,,the fella the new guy says "that no more sounds like a duck blah blah!! " second verse i turn them back around and in they come a mixed bag of bull pintails and hen mallard a gadwall and 2 black ducks.... i talked them right in so as one of the fellas could have grabbed the landing gear on one of them bull pintails.....

no one dared shoot they were in amongst them....another fella that hunted with me said now what ??and to much laughters the birds flew away.....

and the new lad said i will never question your calling ability again as you do speak duck rather well....

and so there you have it give it a go at the very least its worth some laughs in the blind or boat on an otherwise boring day afield...or afloat...

shermie...

ps ive been learning the dialect of the nor eastern nova scotia golden eye .......

No calls for sea ducks, but there are many here who turn their own calls. I would post up a specific question about calls and see what response you get.

I will mouth call for eider now and again, but when they are that close to make a difference, it really doesn't make a difference!

Nate

Best call for sea ducks is a black flag. My personal favorite is the jolly roger. I will mouth call squaws by mouth but it does not sound pretty.

Phil

ya phil kinda like ya trying to yodel and swallow a sandwich and drink a tea at the same time and all that comes out isnt prety...

Thanks guys.

I didn't have a specific question, it was just something that struck me. I will be hunting sea ducks so calls won't be my first focus. My supply officer is a good kid from deep down in the South East, he can call like nothing I've heard before.

Ron

Back