Another first for me

Scott pigs proliferate very quickly. sounds like the state is doing the right thing here, erradicate them. they will devastate everything in there path

I agree wholeheartedly that the effort has merit. I understand the issues with other invasives local to the Great Lakes states (purple loosestrife, zebra mussels, asian carp, gobeys etc.) I was just looking at the state's data and see the numbers of "killed or found dead" over the past 10 years is really low and going down. The data, I am guessing, is pretty subjective, based on voluntary and/or coincidental discovery and notification.

Its wise to learn the lessons of the other states that actually do see a serious issue today, and not go down that path ...so I do get the point.

I am just curious..........probably just looking for another excuse to buy a new gun for feral hogs.

Dani,
Very cool. You will definitely find that it's great eating. I got one years ago down in South Texas and they can be mean mutha's. Yes Chuck J., that picture of me doesn't match how I look now. ;) I haven't seen any feral hogs in Michigan yet myself but I know they are here and if they show themselves...I just might have to dump them. ;) Interestingly, it doesn't take long for a feral hog to grow tusks. The very activity of "rooting" stimulates the growth of the tusks and they rub against each other, keeping them razor sharp. Nothing to mess with. To take a line from Men in Black...we're going to need a bigger gun. :0
Lou

View attachment Boar01.jpg

First off, BACON!!!!!!! Congrats Dani, When I lived in Ga. I heard of the hogs but the only ones I ever saw were stuck in some Yankees radiator that was headed to Miami. Minn has a few but the DNR has advised people not to just blast away because they learn that fast to stay out of hunters sights. There is good reason to respect them, I grew up raising hogs and they really are pretty damn smart.

Congratulations! That is an awesome pile of pork there. I learned after slaughtering my first home-raised pigs this year that they are put together differently than any other animal I've ever butchered. This free video series really helped me out:
http://www.legourmet.tv/butchershop/pork.html

I lived in New Zealand for 2 years and pig hunting is a national pastime there, I really hope they don't reach an epidemic level here like they have in other places. They have even been sighted in southern Utah, eventually I think we will all be overrun! Congrats again, I think you have some good eating ahead of you.

I don't know anything about wild hogs, which, thankfully, are not yet in northern New England. But I work quite a lot with invasive fish species, and the pattern of an initial introduction, relatively slow population growth for several generations, and then a rapid increase is very common.

I don't know what drives that dynamic, but over and over we will see smallmouth or largemouth or pike or crappie introduced into a new water. Then we'll see very occasional reports of them for some time, and then all of a sudden there will seem to be an explosion in the waters where they "take".

A curse on all bait bucket biologists!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cody for the link to the videos....i will definitely be saving that for future reference.

Lou that's a nice pig you got there...

And yup...i had the loins last night for dinner....DEEEEEELICIOUS.....outstanding....if another piggy were to wander into my sights again in the future he may be gracing my dinner table.

Boz- I've got LOTS of adventures to go on still....grouse, chukar, prarie chickens, lots and lots more turkeys, ducks in timber land, ducks in snow, maybe a deer or elk added in there, ice fishing with my uncle (that is very cold so i have a hard time getting up there...but maybe), turkey hunting with my other uncle, wolves to hear, bears to see, northern lights to watch....the list goes on and on and on and on....PLENTY of adventures left

Dani

Dani,

Congratulations!

The smaller one are much better tasting. I have taken a number of even smaller ones, there is no better eating! My buddy and I would refer to them as smogs, small hogs. I once was bowhunting St Vincent's Island and ended up emptying my quiver shooting at smogs.

Ones that will fit, headless, on a Weber grill are the perfect eating size. Buckshot would be a little much for them!

Tom

Tom-

That's about the size i was going for, perhaps a little bigger, but when this one wandered into my sights I just couldn't let it go...interestingly I haven't seen any litters out there of "smogs" this year. Normally I do...

Dani

Congrats
Thats a nice little piggy.
Everytime I go down to Florida I have hunting piggys on my to do list but just don't seem to get around to get out for them. Either my ride down takes a few more days than planned or I end up stopping to do more diving than hunting.
I will have to make it a point to get out and get a slab of bacon next time I'm down there.

Nice going Dani, way to bring home the bacon! LOL!

We have a small population of wild hogs in south jersey near where I grew up. They opened a season on them two years ago. All the dumb ones got killed, now the smart ones are left and hang on no hunting areas and move mainly at night.

Last edited:
Boz- I've got LOTS of adventures to go on still....grouse, chukar, prarie chickens, lots and lots more turkeys, ducks in timber land, ducks in snow, maybe a deer or elk added in there, ice fishing with my uncle (that is very cold so i have a hard time getting up there...but maybe), turkey hunting with my other uncle, wolves to hear, bears to see, northern lights to watch....the list goes on and on and on and on....PLENTY of adventures left

Dani

What a great attitude Dani, I applaud your zest for life.

You are death to Florida wildlife. Congratulations on the piggy. I can almost smell the jerky marinated straps on the grill... served with Jamaican rice and peas.

Back