Another New Boat - Bluebill?

DaveP

Need advice again. Last year I built my first duck boat with no plans - http://duckboats.net.nmsrv.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25 . It turned out great 10' 11" for me a one dog. But last year I had company form Germany, also a hunter, for a month during our short duck season. I realized it was too small and now I'd like to build a slightly larger boat for two men and a dog. I was thinking of a Bluebill. But I would like to strech it to 13'. Has anyone built a bluebill? I assume I can strech to 13'? What would be the approximate cost? I assume it requires 3/8s plywood for the hull and decking, although I haven't looked at any plans yet. Last year, I used normal larun 1/4" plywood with douglas fir for framing. I put 9oz glass cloth on the outside hull and topside decking. The inside hull was coated with expoxy then 1/2oz glass cloth and several coats of expoxy. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, as always.

Dave,Look at a Mallard,or a Black Brant II.Looking at the build of last years boat,you should do well with any design or stretch.Nice site on your dogs BTW.

wachtelhund,

I COMPLETED MY BLUEBILL LATE THIS SUMMER, I HUNTED HER THIS YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME AND LOVE IT. IMO I WOULD STICK TO THE PLANS, IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING STREATCHING IT, I WOULD DEFINATLY CONSIDER THE BLACK BRANT II. I THINK DEVLIN DESINGS A GREAT PRODUCT, AND I WOULD STAY WITH HIS MATERIAL SPECS. HERE IS A LINK TO SOME PICS

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=54237

GIL

IMO if you are hunting two guys and a dog you need at least a Black Brant. I built the BB3 and it suffices for two guys and a dog - I wouldn't want anything smaller.

Dave, I don't have any advice for you but would like to commend you on a well documented build on that sweet boat. I'm sure that you won't have any problems with the new build. If you would'nt mind I would like to know what the total cost of last years boat was. I would like to build something similar in the near future for the small water plus a good starter boat for my boys. Thanks, Kevin

Don't forget the Cackler... an awesomly agile and safe boat. Doesn't draw much, can transport 3 hunters in a pinch - safely.

Suggest you hang the motor off the back however, leaving more room IN the boat.

Good luck

Tkanks to all for the advice. That is what is great about this site. I'll look at the spec's again BBII. Since I'll be hunting alone 99% of the time, I thought the bluebill would fit my needs. There is also the broadbill, which I had the plans to build years ago. Someone borrowed them and never returned them. Thanks for the comments on my Wachtelhund site. Gil, great looking boat and dog. This has nothing to do with boats, but in 2000 I send a letter to the BSS saying I thought the original Boykin found back in 1935 was actually a lost Wachtelhund.

Yep, if you are going to shoot FROM the boat, a BB2 or 3 is the smallest I'd go. You can run a couple guys to a blind in the smaller boats but shooting out of one is uncomfortable at best and dangerous at worst. I don't think you would be that much more into the wallet doing a BB over a Mallard either.

Dave, I don't have any advice for you but would like to commend you on a well documented build on that sweet boat. I'm sure that you won't have any problems with the new build. If you would'nt mind I would like to know what the total cost of last years boat was. I would like to build something similar in the near future for the small water plus a good starter boat for my boys. Thanks, Kevin

K, The cost was approximately $1,00.00. Several days ago I added up my receipts for the lumber, epoxy and glass cloth. I spent $391.00 on 9 oz glass cloth and epoxy, pumps, fillers and etc. With what I know now, I could have cut this 40%. I started out with a 1 1/2 gallons of West systems. It was not enough and I orderd epoxy twice more but from US Composits. It was half the price. The next time I'll order five gallons at the very beginning from US Composits. One order will save $ on quanity and shipping fees. I used 1/4" lauran underlayment plywood for hull and decking, douglass fir and cedar for framing and botom floor - $250.00. Automotive epoxy paint - app. $200.00. Three gallons lacquar thinner three gallons white vinigar - $65.00. Three alum. heavy duty boat grips and two drains - $75.00. Sand paper and body filler-$35.00. Alum. U-channel for the botom - $35.00. It all adds up.
PS. Oh I forgot maybe 50 cheap 2" brushes.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has nothing to do with boats, but in 2000 I send a letter to the BSS saying I thought the original Boykin found back in 1935 was actually a lost Wachtelhund.

Interesting,that the little brown dog found in Spartanburg,SC by Dr Boykin,may have been a Wachtelhund.I had a nice Boykin from 1979-1991.The breed standard only allows a 1"white spot on the chest,but coat variations from curley to smooth,and color from liver,brown,and lighter.However,the breed was developed from that one dog.

Back