Anybody see the news about

Lee Harker

The guy that was missing for 3 weeks? They found him with his two Goldens...the Goldens stayed by his side chasing off animals and birds and wouldn't leave until they hauled his body out. They said the dogs lost about 9lbs each.

I saw that this morning,on the news.I didn't catch were this occured,but the dogs were great.May be looking for another hunting partner Lee.

Dave,I'm sure you can catch it on Fox News Ch the rest of the ray.I've seen it twice and still didn't find out where it occured.Three weeks is amazing.

Dave, I didn't hear where it was...must have been somewhere cool though or those dogs may have had a hot meal.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14467891/detail.html

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Two dogs have shown an amazing devotion to their master.
The body of Gary Lorenz was found last week surrounded by his dogs, Pippin and Merry, after he disappeared in September from his home in Cotopaxi.
Lorenz had Alzheimer's disease, KMGH-TV in Denver reported.
The golden retrievers stayed with their master, guarding his body, for at least three weeks after he died. They lost about 9 pounds each, but vets say they are healthy.
A massive search involving at least 100 people was conducted after Lorenz disappeared Sept. 29. He had taken his ATV and his two dogs over a ridge above his home. The search turned up nothing.
Officials say he died four or five days later from exposure and dehydration.
The 63-year-old retired Air Force colonel was found by a hunter Oct. 20 about four miles from his ranch in a steep and wooded area. Helicopters had missed his body when looking overhead because a tree that he was leaning on blocked their view.
Searchers had told the family they heard barking occasionally, but assumed it came from dogs at a nearby house.
The 3-year-old dogs, brother and sister, were returned home shortly after Lorenz's body was found. They were very hungry and thirsty.
Lorenz's widow told the Mountain Mail that finding the dogs was "bittersweet." She said she and her daughter were glad the dogs were found, but were upset about losing Lorenz.
"We feel the lord has been very merciful, sending them back to me," said Lorenz's widow, Sandee. "We felt the dogs were with Gary and helped him pass from this life to the next."
"Now that we have the dogs back, we feel like we've gotten a little piece of Dad back. He loved these dogs, and they loved him. They never left his side. They watched him. He was having trouble communicating with all of us, but he always seemed to be able to talk to the dogs. They were his best friends," said Deanna Lorenz, his daughter. "We are so happy to have them back to remind us of the relationship he had with them and to help my mom get through her tough weeks ahead. They will be here to comfort her."
Sandee Lorenz said the dogs were emaciated when they returned. She said she initially fed them every few hours so they wouldn't overeat.
Deanna Lorenz told a newspaper, "Merry was a little overweight before she disappeared, so we're trying to keep her about where she is now."
She told the paper she wasn't sure what the dogs were eating, other than berries, but said dogs can go for several days without water.
It helped that the dogs had each other to lean on, Sandee said.
"Pippin would never leave Gary, and Merry would never leave Pippin," she said.
After returning, Merry had a slight limp, and Pippin seemed more aggressive, the family said.
Sandee said this wasn't the first time the dogs had been lost. When they were about 6 months old, they wandered off for three days. The dogs never went out exploring again.
The family said the support they've received from the community about the dogs' return and the loss of Lorenz has been overwhelming.

the dogs were Golden's....not loyal just too stupid to find their own way home.......heck it even said they'd been lost once before.....

Add to that they were named after friggin Hobbits and no wonder you have two dogs too dumb to go find a "live" master.....

My .02.....

Steve

Last edited:
Whilst I'm not a fan of swamp collies in general I'm going to assume that was tongue in cheek Steve. What I can't get is why someone with alzheimers at the point where he had trouble communicating had access to an ATV.

the reason they stayed, YES, was tongue in cheek....

The part about them being too stupid to leave was an honest assessment,IMO, on my part....any animal that is too stupid to leave after three weeks isn't acting out of "loyalty" it just doesn't have the brains to realize its time to "move on".....I'd be much more impressed to hear that the dogs had left, at any point but preferrably before the guy died of exposure, gone home, got Timmy and Mom and lead them back to the guy.....

Just my opinion of course and I'm sure others will see it as some noble Lassieish self sacrafice to make sure the body was found......different strokes.....

Steve

doing something stupid makes you feel good then have at it.....

Me, I'll just be a big ol prick and not delude myself that stupidity equals loyalty or fidelity.....

Its what I do....

Steve

Last edited:
Lee

Maybe one day Steve will get lost and after an hour or so Mike will take off running. Might even hump a few mongrels before he makes back to civilization where he takes up with the fist person that feeds him :)

on everything that he can't hump......

I HOPE he's smart enough to leave after an hour and hustle his hungry little ass to the nearest person for some food....because then, if the person that feeds him is smarter than the stupid dogs that woudn't leave for three weeks, that person will find my home phone number on his collar, and then they'll call Debby, and then at least they'll have an "idea" of where I am.....

And if he doesn't leave I hope that when he hears the search parties calling loudly he'll go to them instead of barking.....

If being abandoned gets me saved I'll take that over being "set by" while I die from exposure.....EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK....

Steve

Last edited:
GOOD LOOKING lesbians?

Eitherr way Mike will just cock his head at them and they won't be able to resist.....just like who, sexual proclivities not withstanding, have ever resisted Colby growling for a swig of beer?

Steve

Last edited:
Well...the ones he terrorized at the hotel after humping the snot( and I mean snot) out of Drake, weren't the pair I always fantasized about walking in on and being asked to join in. Somehow that brings visions of moldy bread on a Lee sammich.

aren;'t the tyoe you'd expect to be frolicking like nubiles in the woods....or even the more mannish BIG UN's that you'd expect to see on a search team.....in that situation I'll take the BIG UN's cuas they can carry you out of the woods when they find you.....

Steve

Back