Anyone have thoughts on the Ford EcoBoost????

Thanks Tom, I drove an EcoBoost the other day. Oodles of power. I'm narrowing down and I'm ready to start trying to find the exact vehicle I want - I hate to say it, but I think I'm going Tundra.

Why are you leaning towards the Tundra?

I just finished spec'ing out the 150 XLT w/EcoBoost engine that I want through USAA's buying service. The e-mails and phone calls from the dealers should start in hour or so. I'll move the money around tomorrow and should have the truck by Wed or Thurs.

Why are you leaning towards the Tundra?

I just finished spec'ing out the 150 XLT w/EcoBoost engine that I want through USAA's buying service. The e-mails and phone calls from the dealers should start in hour or so. I'll move the money around tomorrow and should have the truck by Wed or Thurs.

If you are that close to pulling the trigger, do you really want to hear my thoughts?

Some thoughts on turbo's. I've owned a couple of cars with turbo's, one of them a twin turbo car. Same set up as the F-150 - small turbo that spins up at low rpm's and one that spins up at higher rpm's. What some people don't realize is that small turbo doesn't stop spinning and switch over to the bigger turbo (at least it didn't on the car I had). This was tough on the little turbo. Wore out way faster than the bigger turbo.

Next car was a high performance speed demon. 400 hp on a car that weighed in at under 2800 lbs. Big turbo. Took awhile to spool up but when it got going, it slammed you back in your seat.

Anyway. Couple of things I know. Turbos behave very differently depending upon the outside temperature. When it is cold, it makes massive power. When it is hot outside, not as much power. All turbos put out tremendous amounts of heat. Twin turbos even more so. This heat can lead to all sorts of maintenance issues if not managed. I see that Ford tucked these turbos low and near the oil pan. I've seen this on cars before and they usually had a massive oil cooler due to the turbo's heating up the oil.

Other needed items on a turbo car/truck. Any well designed turbo will have a few items that make it last longer. On the turbo itself, how are the fins designed? Clipped fin tips greatly improve turbo power and durability. Turbos should also have two features after the car is turned off. One is that the engine fans are hooked to a thermo swicth of some type that keeps them going until the engine compartment cools off. This requires an electrically operated fan, not an engine driven fan. Secondly, you need a cooling pump that will continue to circulate either engine oil through the turbo after the car shuts down or a pump that circulates water through the turbo. This really extends the life of the turbo. Many turbocharged vehicles don't have water circulation which I don't understand. Oil will cake up in the turbo innards if not cooled down slowly.

Wait a couple of years and watch what happens in the aftermarket for these turbocharged trucks. The turbocharging sytem is very easy to modify to change characteristics of the engine/driveability. Engine chips here make a huge difference. Bigger turbos, better wastegates, compressor blow off valves better suited to how you drive the vehicle, direct flow dual filter kits, electronic turbo boost controllers, bigger intercoolers and so on will really make this engine a beast. It will be fun to watch.

Mark

Todd,

I wouldn't have asked unless I wanted to read them.

Sorry Chris. My feeling is that both are great trucks from what I can tell. Reasons for putting the Tundra ahead of the F-150 is that both Jen and I liked the feel and how the Tundra drove. I like Toyota's long-term reliability record compared to Ford, although it is clear that the current F-150s are great trucks. Comparing similar models and the options that are important for me, you can get the Tundra for less.

Mark,
you just said it all. To get the power with the milage you add about 8 degrees of complication including electrically driven pumps to a system to try to get the longevity.
If I was a 4 year and out buyer I would jump in and not worry. But if you are thinking 100,000 plus thousand over 8 years, and running it for a while, hang on when that stuff starts to get old.

Cost analysis over the life of the vehicle.... no idea. But I like the fewer headaches down the road.
But I like roll up windows too.

Bob

Mark,
you just said it all. To get the power with the milage you add about 8 degrees of complication including electrically driven pumps to a system to try to get the longevity.
If I was a 4 year and out buyer I would jump in and not worry. But if you are thinking 100,000 plus thousand over 8 years, and running it for a while, hang on when that stuff starts to get old.

Cost analysis over the life of the vehicle.... no idea. But I like the fewer headaches down the road.

Bob

My hope is that this is a 10 year truck. My current truck is only 6 years old and I feel bad trading her in with only 100,000 miles.

There's no such thing as free energy (I think?)... If there are claims at equivalent power at reduced displacement, it has to still burn the same amount of fuel per unit time (higher RPM). Of course, if there are major differences in weight or aerodynamics, that will definitely contribute to altered fuel consumption.

If you want a cheap running vehicle, get an electric car and an extension cord to your neighbors house :)

I also happen to like domestic vehicles. Mainly because they are usually cheaper to buy and repair...

Mark,

Bob

Well designed turbo's are fabulous vehicles to own. I prefer these over supercharged vehicles. My last turbo car went over 100,000 miles before it needed a turbo replacement and this vehicle was not pussy footed around. Had it up to 156 mph on the Road america track before I ran out of guts. Car still had more but I didn't. This was a small 2.5 liter engine that put out over 400 rear wheel hp depending upon how much boost I ran and what octane fuel was put through it. Big difference between this turbo car and the Ford Ecoboost engine is that this manufacturer has been building turbocharged cars for decades. Their earlier trubo cars were headaches to keep going but they learned over the years. Their turbos were/are works of art.

I know that Cosworth has quite bit of expereince with turbos and I know Ford at one time was hitched to Cosworth. I don't think this is the case anymore. There is a learning curve on turbos and hopefully the ecoboost engine has this wisdom designed into it.

Go to Europe and look at how many vehicles are turbocharged - many. I bet we see more innovative turbo vehicles in the future combined with 8 speed (or more) trannies to get the increased mpg's everyone wants.

Mark W

Mark, I don't know if you caught this, but no turbo for me. I'm taking possesion of a 5.7L 381 hp V-8 in a Tundra later today :).

I saw that. Great choice. Just adding to the conversation.

I looked at the Tundra when I was searching for my new vehicle. Very very nice truck. It was a strong consideration. I was down to the F150 (non ecoboost), the Tundra and the Tacoma. I really wanted to buy the Tacoma and was holding out for the next major design change from Toyota. I was thinking it would be this year but no luck. Didn't want to wait anymore

Enjoy the new vehice, they are sure fun to drive.

Mark

Thanks for your thoughts along the way. I learned a lot in this tread, which is often the case in the treads you participate in.

T

Back