Anyone Layout hunting anymore

sean kane

Hey guys this is the third year without my layout boat and the first year i haven't been in one yet, Anyone have some pictures to post?! I wish someone could get gary march and mark rongers to make a comeback! Merry christmas!

Sean~

Our inaugural shoot in White-Wing - the 2-man layout I built in October-November, was a success. I was in the boat for about a minutes when I took the first hen Oldsquaw. The only problem was that my camera and I were never with each other that day. I anticipate a fully-photographed hunt in her in January.

All the best,

SJS

Hi Sean

Pat Gregory, Jim williams and I hit a small local lake last Friday. A break in the weather thawed our ramps so we took the opportunity to get out again before the season closes.

Fog delayed our scouting and the first set came up dry. The second set however was on the X and we spent the afternoon spanking the Goldeneyes.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a camera with us. Hopefully, Santa is bring one of us an accessory we can mount on the layout boat to capture more of those adventures.

Tim

We still layout!
IMAG0768_zps9b25cea0.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures Jim. What brand and size of tender are you using? I'm looking for something larger to get out on Lake Huron with. Your boat looks nice and deep and I like the large splashwell.
Merry Christmas,

Chris

It's a 19.5' 8' beam mirror craft probably a early 80s boat I saved from out behind a barn. The splashwell is awesome for tending the layout stern into the wind, seems more controlable.

Phil,

It isn't just layout hunting. When I had good spots to hunt, people always wanted to go. Changes at a couple properties and you need a place to hunt, then you are out in the cold. No body else seems to go find a spot. Even when I come up with some spots to hunt on public waters, no body else wants to buy a marsh boat or float a stream when it is cold. I am getting set-up to hunt solo. Made some purchases that won't leave me sitting at home when I can't find anyone else to go.

Phil, pool 9 isn't that far if you ever want an extra hand. I already have a WI license many years.

Mike

Last edited:
Sadly..... it has been a while for me... it is hard to find a crew... I've had the same issue the last six years. My previous partner gave up hunting as he said he was getting too old for it. Layout hunting isn't as much fun when you've got to train someone different every time. I did have a friend go on a layout hunt with me and my son Ben a few weeks ago. It was a slow day, but we did get a few birds. Ben's getting older now too, so maybe we'll be getting back into it again in the near future.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics guys! Makes sitting in the office the day after christmas a little more bearable! Jim how did you paint your tender? looks like a stencil? Really cool looking. Pat and Tim, i have watched your video a few times already this fall, great stuff! My dad and i did get out to do a little diver gunning on christmas eve and scratched out a few bills but didn't see any cans.. Oh well theres always tomorrow!

Sprayed a base coat of med open water gray over ppg sealer. Then used the small nat gear stencil with open water dark gray. All the paint on this boat came from Lou @ lock stock and barrel. Here's a link to the thread on Michigan sportsman when I did it a few years back. Hope its ok.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/...wthread.php?t=374316

WOW Jim, that is quite the build (or would that be re-build.) In either case, great job, excellent planning and sweet execution.

Best
Chuck

Jim is that a ufo layout? how do you like it? I had an mlb classic and loved it but i was looking at the ufo or maybe the new kalash boat. any thoughts or opinions?

It's a UFO. We like it alright, plenty of room in it. I'm a bigger guy, 6'-2", 250lbs, with a size 13 boot. And I fit in there just fine. I'll be honest with you though, I don't have much to compare it to as I've only laid in one other boat, an ambusher down on the NC coast. My dealings with Tonyh have always been good, with the boat purchase, and decoy molds. He took care of me on a clear spray shield that exploded on me on an extremely cold late season hunt, so don't hesitate to do buisness with him. I'm actually kinda curious to see what the specs are on that duck boss layout thats in another thread..

Sprayed a base coat of med open water gray over ppg sealer. Then used the small nat gear stencil with open water dark gray. All the paint on this boat came from Lou @ lock stock and barrel. Here's a link to the thread on Michigan sportsman when I did it a few years back. Hope its ok.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/...wthread.php?t=374316

WOW Jim, that is quite the build (or would that be re-build.) In either case, great job, excellent planning and sweet execution.

Best
Chuck
Thank you very much. It was a fun one to put together and is a stone cold killer now that its done. We where over on your side of the state for the split a couple weeks ago. Got to take a vet that just got back from Afganistan with us. Was glad to put him on some wall worthy squaws. You hunting the split this weekend? We are locked up over here.

Back