Back From Arkansas

Eric Patterson

Staff member
and one of the worst parts is trying to catch up on the high volume of posts I miss over the course of a week during peak hunting season times.

The trip was good but very few ducks. We hunted Black River, the St. Francis River, and ventured into Hornersville Swamp in MO. Everywhere we went folks had opinions as to why the ducks weren't there and where they are. "They are South of Hwy 63 in the flooded fields" said a duckless hunter at Oak Donnick on the St. Francis River. "All the ducks are on Big Lake Refuge", cried a hunter at Shaffers Eddy Acces on the Black River after he hunted all morning with only one duck for his party. "The ducks are elbow to elbow on the Lake Ashbaugh rest area" complained one hunter who insists hunters should be allowed to hunt that lake and other places of refuge. "The ducks are scattered with all the water we have" was repeated time and time again from empty handed hunters. It seemed everyone had a reason for the overall poor hunting but nobody had a way to overcome the scarcity of ducks. I know from hunting this area over the past 15 years it was by far the fewest ducks I've seen. Two days before we left on the trip they were hit with almost a foot of rain and the Black, St. Francis, and Cache Rivers have almost merged into a lake 50 miles wide. The hunting went from good to dismal with the group of locals I hunt with. Rice field guides are telling their clients they need to reschedule for later this year or next year. One thing that really strikes me is how slow that area drains. Here in North Alabama a flood lasts 5 days. In NE Ark high water conditions will persist through the end of the season even if they don't get another drop of rain. Foot hill valleys definitely drain faster than the large flat delta.

The hunt had its upsides. Thomas and I expanded our knowledge of Black river making 15 mile runs to areas of less pressure. We saw some of the biggest bald cypress I've ever encountered. I'd guesstimate some of them were 36" in dia 10' up. Simply amazing timber. I wish I had some pictures but since all of the focus was on looking for ducks I never stopped to get the camera out and take pictures, regrettably.

Hopefully I can catch up pn the posts, PMs, and email in the coming couple of days.

Eric

Eric,
If you want some pics of cypress like that, I can run take some.
We have several that size in an area I used to hunt.
They are simply awesome.
Its a 2 hour drive and an hour in the boat but the photo ops are well worth it.
I'll get some pics next time I'm in the area.

Dutch

How have you been doing?

No need to go to any trouble. If the hunting picks up there Thomas and I will probably head back and I'll get some pics then. There was one strange shaped one that bent sideways wher you could sit or stand on it and then it straightened bak up. Never seen a tree that went up, over, and then up again with 90 degree angles.

Thanks.

Eric

Well it still sounds like you and Thomas had a good adventure. Glad your back so we can stop being on our best behavior. :)

Tim

Tim

Thanks for the welcome back. Kind of hard to believe with all this very cold weather and water we'd be hard pressed to find ducks in Alabama, and even moreso in Arkansas, but that's the way our season is heading.

Eric

The ducks still haven't migrated through here Eric and thus the reson you didn't see many. Had to get this in before Steve could chime in.

Still sounds like it was a good trip. Time with kids is never time wasted.

Mark W

You'd be hard pressed to find many anywhere Eric. Pockets and that's it....and not many of those. The same things are being heard all over the Miss Flyway.

Ask Steve...he may know where they are.

Jay & Mark

Right up until the flood they were having a bang up season. I called Tadpould when we left the house on the 27th and asked how they did that morning and he said they never fired a shot. Fist time that happened all season. When we arrived it started happening a lot. Thomas and I still had fun. Just getting away for a week to do nothing but duck hunt with your son is all I could ask for anyway.

Hey Eric
I went to southern Louisiana Christmas week. Houma, La.
Now i have only been to La twice so I cannot give an expert opinion for sure.
I fully expected to at least see lots of ducks/geese/specs.
There were very few ducks and I saw no specs. The locals just said "they're not here".

I knew that Arkansas was flooded but what really got me was the area around Mobile, Al was really flooded as well.
There was so much flooded area between Ga and La that i figure the ducks are just so spread out.

I never knew that Mobile had so much water coming into it. Mile after mile of flooded forests.
Not sure if that is normal or not in the winter for there. Maybe Carl can chime in.

Jim

Eric A good friend of mine Hugh Walter of Deerfield Plantation in South Carolina was there about 3 weeks ago and had a similar story as yours . In the 3 days they were there the killed about 10 ducks. It wasnt because the couldnt shoot, Hugh is a dead shot, there was just no birds . Back in Nov. $ buddies from here on the Island took a trip to Missori and came back with the same tale of woe. Weve got plenty of Geese here on the East End of Long Island but not many ducks. Our Goose total is appraoching 200 in Southampton but out of the same pit we've killed only six Mallards. Plenty of Eider and Scoter in the ocean but we haven't had the weather to get to them. I get the feeling from everything I read on all sites, DU has told us a tall tale about the amount of ducks that are supposed to be there.

eric i tried to call ya back the other day. I was hoping you where calling BEFORE you left... Ive been doing this since prenatal times, never have I seen it this bad. Nobody is killing ducks with any regularity. Earlier (before the rain) the ducks where in concentrated pods, and they'd just skip around here today and gone tomorrow. We've killed less than 35 ducks this year... best morning we've had is 8, and we've easily had 10 skunks. Ive never been skunked at my farm 2x in a row, and Ive went entire decades without having 10 skunks, let alone in a year. I had one day with steve at his camp we killed 35 that day, but his whole camp isnt but around 50 ducks for the year! Thrusday we had 3 bluewings work... never seen a bwt in duck season here, but we've killed one and seen others. Scattered would be great to think, but ice does away with scattered... burnt half a tank of disel fuel the other day and didnt see 500 ducks total. They arent here. I told one of my guys, no matter how many times he asks me the same question, the answer is still, I dont freggin know. As far as I know, they arent coming, and if they dont come now, I dont know if they will ever come again. Easy to say food and water up north, but this much snow up there, and this much cold, 3 blizzards in a row without a push... they arent here. travis

Jim,
The flooded are you saw on the way down on I-65 was the Mobile-Tensaw Delta.
It is normal for it (and all the river bottoms to the north that feed it) to flood, just not this early.
Usually, Oct-December are our driest months, with rain coming in late Janaury-early April. Normally, the Delta first floods in January. THis year it flooded in October and has been up almost the entire time since then.
This year has been the wettest Fall on record, with record rainfall in October and December, and near-record in Novemer. We got 76" in 2009, 10" above normal.

I think the above normal rainfall all across the southern & Gulf-States simply has all the birds spread out. In the Mobile-Tensaw Delta alone, there is now a couple thousand acres of flooded timber & clear cuts that are barely accessible if at all. There could be thousands of puddle ducks in there that no one would ever see. Mutiply that by all the flood waters across LA, MS & AR, and you have a lot of ducks sitting in places that dont get hunted.

Trav, you couldn't have stopped us with any talk of no ducks. We were hell bent for Arkansas leather. I'll take no ducks there over no ducks here anyday. It's nice just to get out of the house and have no obligations for a few days other than looking for ducks.

Jim, I've made the drive over the I65 bridges more times than I can remember. It always amazed me that area wasn't a major wintering destination for waterfowl. In college I had my boat with me and we scouted that area plenty. never found more than a few woodied although I heard stories of big mallard hunts there. Must require the right situation to get them in there. The bay on the other hand is a different story. We always has opportunity of Gadwall and diving ducks, just like Carl has shown us over the years. I will say this, the entire Mobile Delta is a neat place to explore. Much more diverse and complex than the TN river here in North Alabama.

Jack, I'm with Carl on the scarcity. We've had a ton of rain and that must scatter the ducks making them hard to find. The only thing I can't explain with that is why our Lake Guntersville Gadwall are so scarce. Historcially they are here in good numbers by the opener regardless of cold weather. For that I chalk it up to poor millfoil growing conditions with the wet year we had and too much pressure over the past decade.

Eric

Glad you could make it over eric.. but i'll tell the same story as well.. no ducks. I've only hunted once because of the new addition to the family. private farm in lonoke. last year at this time we killed 20 mallards in an hour. hundreds and hundreds of mallards and pintails pouring in the rice in all directions. this year.. saw 7 total on the entire 250 acres. it's screwed up for sure. maybe it's meant to be that way since i don't get to hunt ;) wouldn't want everyone having a miracle year while i sit home now would we? Black River is my wife's family's stomping grounds.. hoxie, walnut ridge, delaplaine etc. i need to meet you up there one year.

jeff

Hey Guys, Im plainning a trip to Cardwell, Mo on Sun 10-15th to hunt the st fancis river. Im wondering if its gonna be worth the 924 mile drive from PA. Any Ideas!

We just got back from Arkansas on Sunday. We normally hunt the Black as well, but after a couple days we knew we had to venture south. It's true, there were A LOT of ducks using Ashbaugh and the Timber rest area. I mean a lot - but good luck killing them (we killed 3 in 4 days hunting). Plus the woods was lockin up tight the day we left! However, we were able to get on some ducks further south. The three of us shot close to 50 over the last 5 days of our trip. If you're heading back Eric, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Dan

It's looking really doubtful that I'll go back this season. Glad you had a good trip and thanks for the intel offer.

Eric

Back