Bankes "The Chesapeake"

Dwight F.

Finally getting to cleaning up my new boat. 1997 Bankes Chesapeake. Has been in storage for years since the guy I bought it from has never used it (since he bought it years ago). After a good bath with dawn dish soap and cleaner wax she is starting to come back to life. Now to see if the motor will start and pump water. Anyone want to come over to help pull it over? Who would buy a 30hp 3 cylinder outboard without electric start? Me I guess.

View attachment Chesapeake.jpg
View attachment ChesapeakeII.jpg

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Now to see if the motor will start and pump water. Anyone want to come over to help pull it over? Who would buy a 30hp 3 cylinder outboard without electric start? Me I guess.

Dwight,

You may be surprised on just how easily a three cylinder might pull over and start. It should idle and purr much smoother than the same size engine in a two cylinder configuration.

If your motor has sat idle for several years I would strongly suggest replacing the water pump impeller BEFORE start up. Most likely the rubber has dried and become brittle. As is, you run the risk of it disintegrating into many various sized pieces which may very likely clog the cooling system.

[/font]

Dwight,
I had forgotten about those boats until you posted up. I had a hard time deciding between the "Chesapeake" and the TDB that i eventually purchased back in '96.
In my opinion the Chessy was a good all around multi-purpose boat.
Good find.

Thanks Guys,
I was looking for a duck boat and came across this one calling about the sneakboat I bought. It was a good find and seems like these boats are tanks. It should handle everything I will need it to, from the Hudson River to upper and lower Lake Champlain.
I'm taking your advice Dave and am going to have the impeller replaced and the engine serviced. Good advise!
See you soon Bill!

Back