BBSB in skinny water

cjduncan

Will be taking my sneakbox into real skinny water and wondering if a 30 pound thrust electric will work?
I have an old Perine cedar box and going into a river that flows about 4mph.

thanks cjd

Up here skinny water is 4 inches or less. Most old BBSB boats draw that much or an inch more.

If you are stuck using an E-motor find a bigger one.

Yes looking to get into water 4 to 6 inches behind a pond I like to hunt. Cannot get out of the boat or will sink up to my waist. Have to travel up river about a mile and then work my way back into the spot with a pole. Trouble is that my outboard is to heavy and cumbersome to be poleing around in the junk. Bigger trolling motor? What size thrust might work? cjd

Not sure I would go with a trolling motor, batteries are heavy and can die quick if not charged 100%. By time you add the battery & TM, it weighs more than a small outboard.
I would go with a smaller outboard, no heavy batteries to lug around and you can use a smaller gas can. You can also move the gas can up front & even up the boat a little.
Is your boat a planing hull or displacement? I'm not expert but if it is displacement, you can probably get by with a smaller engine (3-5 hp)since you are only going hull speed anyway.

Back