Been awhile...

Pat Gregory

Well done. Been working on a doz. Illinois river style bluebills myself. Vacations over start hacking away. bob

pretty snappy BWT, fella! I have some floaters available for trade, if you ever get around to making another.
Buena Pasqua

Pat,
I really like the lines on those Mergansers. Very old school and of course the teal are a great idea. Makes lots of sense to me they are always on the banks when I see them.

Drew some new teal patterns today myself. Ill be posting them soon I hope.

Very nice On all accounts. Thought you had run of with the circus you had been so quiet......Either that or the anniversary fire works were still being re-kindled ;-)

Also, finished painting the prototype of my "Shoreline Rig". At our club, the bluewings really hug the shore so this season, I plan to add some full bodies stick-ups on the shore. Decoy has a high density cork body and white pine head finished with latex paint in acrylic detail.

From the looks of that "rigging", it appears to be destined for the shelf rather than the shore...Regardless, looking good to my eyes.

Best
Chuck

Hey, Pat, I got a kick out of this-----"[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Drew this RB Merganser head pattern in Israel. Body pattern is my great grandpa's pintail pattern."
Called a very active mind, sir, and good to see. Your blue wing teal is special.
Al
[/font]

Guys - Thank you for the kind words.

George - Do me a low head bluebill drake to go with my hen and it's yours.

Chuck - With my gunners, there will be a 7 inch long dole rod to put in the ground. The base in the picture is to display in the off-season.

That should be simple, since i have one from the westlake rig!
Will let you know the wheres and whens in a pm
Blessed Easter, my friend

Brother Bob - So glad to hear you are carving some birds. Cool that you are carving them in the Illinois lines. My next addition to my Mud Lake Rig are some bills carved in the style of Henry "Doc" Taubert from Pekin, IL. Doc's birds are tough to find and in my opinion, some of the best on the Illinois River. Here is a rare bluebill of his I'll copy. He is truly one of my carving heros.

In my Mud Lake Rig, I am trying to use patterns from vintage decoys used on our piece of the River. Next year, I'm thinking of maybe some John Warren cans.

Hopefully I'll get to see your bills float on Quiver. I pity the bluebills that come accross your blocks... Lotsa bluewings on our place now. How bout you guys? Take care and God bless! Pat
View attachment PICT0271.JPG
View attachment PICT0272.JPG

Brandon - I'm with you. Just goes to show us, eyes aren't critical to a gunning decoy. Doesn't seem like the ducks don't worry them...

Henry Taubert got it...

John - Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty excited to get these sawbills painted...

reread the bwt stuff, and now, i am looking for you to make some feeders along with a little group of resting ones for the edge of the water!!

Back