Best Value In Cork Decoys . . . . . ?

Fred McIntire

I'd like to purchase a dozen or so cork decoys to use in Indiana for the upcoming season. I'm thinking a dozen puddle ducks, and maybe 6 diver ducks, probably Buffleheads.

In your humble opinion, who offers the best value in cork decoys ? I know you get what you pay for, to an extent, but I'm trying to maximize the return on my limited funds to invest.

Feel free to post a reply here, or send me a private message.

Thanks for your input !

Fred

I'd second Jim Higgins at sneakbox, got a couple of his. I waited about 6 months on my last one, get your order in and you might have them by the season. Most good carvers like jim have a backlog so good luck. I think most of his gunners are 100 or a little less. That's a deal on a well made tan cork decoy.

Last edited:
I will start by saying no disrespect to any of the carvers here, since I am one myself. IMHO a regular everyday cork gunner should run you between $80 and $120. I would look around and see what you like the looks of, and if they self right. Yes even the puddle ducks need to self right. Nothing will tick you off faster than throwing a rig out in the dark and then having to go around and flip half of them over.
Some of the carvers are really fast and filling orders and others of us do it on the side and will take a will to get, but usually rig orders go to the front of the list over singles.
Now for a shameless plug but not for me. Go to the http://www.runamuckdecoys.com decoy page and check out George Williams' decoys. George is one of the most prolific carvers I know, makes a great self righting gunner and fills orders extremely fast. Yes he is a friend but I would say the same things about him if he was not. I have some of George's stuff in my rig and if I didn't carve my own the majority of my rig would be made up of George's stuff , Jimmy Higgins, Mike Smyser, and a few others.

Good luck in your search

Good morning, Bomber~

I tried going to runamuck yesterday - because I, too, think highly of George's birds - which I've seen at Clayton but do not own. I kept getting an error message and still do today.

Any ideas?

SJS

If you are going to get that many, why not get one or two from abunch of carvers instead of just one carver? You will have work from all over the country and a cool collection. What i would do just a thought

I appreciate everyone's input !

To those of you that sent a private message, I will respond to your private message shortly.

Thanks !

Fred

Tim McEntire, a member of this forum...

Tim's are great, and he is my next door neighbor. He carves a decoy for my son's birthday every year. Not too many 12 year olds will have a handmade spread for their first day on the marsh.

Hey Steve Sanford,
I can get into my e mail on the site, but am getting an error message also. Will call Smyser and see what is up.
G

Back