Big Eiders on the way, EDITED with the final 6

Troy Fields

Here are some pictures of what's coming. My good friend and carver Jon Ketchum is building us a six decoy rig for the upcoming season. Tip to tip the birds will be 32" +/- . Jon did a prototype this past summer of foam, which I hunted with each trip. These new six will be from cork. David Clark will also be making a special padded canvas bag for these to rest in while being transported. Hope you enjoy, should make for a great rig!

Here's are two pictures of the prototype.

61.jpg

eider jon.jpg

And these are two of the six cork.

eider big.jpg

eider big2.jpg

And a size comparison with a "standard" eider.

eider big3.jpg

Last edited:
Troy

Those are really cool. They remind me of the rig Keith Mueller did a long time ago that have been posted here on several occasion.

Eric

The only thing cooler than those decoys would be me flying north next year and shooting over them.
I'm thinking i need to burn some frequent flyer miles!

Those are sweet birds. I love the huge seaduck concept.

I made a rig of 6 whitewings that are almost that big, only floated them once, since we dont have many here.

Carl said:
The only thing cooler than those decoys would be me flying north next year and shooting over them.
I'm thinking i need to burn some frequent flyer miles!

I like that idea, I need to get in a couple days gunning eider in the next couple years before heading west for good.

tod osier said:
Those are sweet birds. I love the huge seaduck concept.

I made a rig of 6 whitewings that are almost that big, only floated them once, since we dont have many here.

thanks Tod. Do you still have the WW scoter?

It was fun hunting the prototype last season. Always a conversation piece on the motor out and it always looked great in the set.

I do have them, but they aren't nearly the size of the eider they are about the size of the E Allen eider/scoter.

Bobtail bodies are about 18", whereas your eider are about 24.

5TrLAFo.jpg

A2RlgAn.jpg

SDa1LRY.jpg

I like those scoters Tod!!

Here are the remaining decoys that Jon made.

eider big4.jpg

The group of five.

eider big6.jpg

And the final bird, this very nice hen!

eider big5.jpeg

Dani said:
Those are all beauties, Troy!!!!

Thanks Dani, I agree. I really like the hen. I won't see them in hand until the fall but it will be a great hunt when we float them altogether for the first time.

Wow beautiful. I am guessing those are the keels for them, they look big enough to to bunks for a trailer

Back