Boat Blind Build - Epiphany!

Kevin Beam

I'm running late getting my new boat ready this year. Family stuff... Anyhoo, I've been himming and hawing as what materials I would use to build a sturdy blind frame for my sneakboat. I'm not necessarily using the boat the way it was intended- I'm going to hunt two guys and a dog out of it rather than laying down in it. Galvanized electric conduit was a front runner, but fittngs like T's and 90's were non existant. I was on the phone with a buddy the other day outside of a local pizza shop and happnend to look up - AWNINGS!!!!!!!!!!! Right before my eyes, were each and every fitting I was looking for! My question is, has anyone used awning supplies to build a blind on their boat, and if so, can you recommend any internet retailers that I could order the fittings from?

I'm sketching up a draft of the blind on google sketch. If I can't find the fittings myself quickly so that I can build the frame, I'm taking it to my canvas guy, handing him the drawing, and letting him handle it. I'd like to save a few bucks the DIY route, but deadlines are deadlines... Any advice?

Kevin,

As a relatively new hunter, I am really interested in your design, I hope you will post it or email it to me. Maybe, I bring along too much stuff, but mine seems seems too crowded for two people, all the gear and a dog to hunt out of.

I have used my sneak boat to get to blinds on the St Jones and elsewhere in Delaware as well as in lakes in PA. I have not used it at the beach since I live in PA and it is a bit too far.

John

Attaching the bottom to the boat you can go traditional, ala Dave Clark's grommets and twist snaps, or, while you are buying your awning hardware, get some black awning track and some vinyl awning rope. Screw sections of the track to your deck, and the rope onto the bottom of your dodger. This is how the blind attaches on a TDB. Works great.

Back