Boat Blinds(Worth making your own or Buying one?)

Jerod

Trying to get some opinions on building or buying. I have an 18' 1961 crestliner closed bow with a windshield and am struggling with the idea of building a blind or buying one

Feel free to post pics if you have em

Thanks

don't have any pictures but its easy to copy the manufactured blinds by using square tubing set up sissor supports on either side of your boat put plastic netting underneath to hold fast grass and zip tie everything on. We run a small diameter cable down the side of my 18' G-3 to hold the grass down while traveling. the zip ties are cut off after the season and frame with grass are lifted off and stored in garage for next year. Had mallards land as close as six feet from the rig while tied up next to a patch of reeds. Total cost bout $225. for tubing grass and zip ties.

Great tips. The problem I am having is I want a roof and also need a front cover so I guess it will be like a scissor blind but will go up higher in the back and shorter in the front. we get birds that come in at eye level but also get a lot trying to sneak in low.

Next problem closed bow with bow rail and a windshield.

I will try to post pictures tommorow with dimensions

Thanks and keep the tips coming

You should be able to buy the conduit , camo netting, and misc. parts for well under $200, I think I got about 100 bucks in mine for a 19' boat.

Check out Mudbuddy's site, they have a good diagram of their fold up blind that is easy to understand. Just modify it to your purpose.

I was thinking of going with a similar design. I think I will have a back with roof and a shorter front section with both sections attaching to crossbars. 1 in the front and one in the back. whats you thoughts a heavy duty tarp with some camo netting attached to it. It would be weather proof and light weight with canvas snaps to secure it to the boat and the frame

Not very easy. also it will be nice to be protected from spray as the helm is very far forward.

I think I am going to make a bow cover that will stay attached all duck season and then hot glue velcro covers where I need to access spot lights and whatever else I need

Get a brown or camo "blue" tarp as the liner, cheap, and water and windproof. Put your grass panels or camo netting over that.
You have to weight the bottom of the tarp/netting combo as wind can lift it, I used net leadline, it helps if it just barely goes under water.
You can vary the height of the bars to get the blind top at the level you want, you can also have folding/swinging top pieces as a roof that will all fold down to the gunnels.

Back