Boat Trailer Winch Recommendations

Tim Speight

Good morning

I'm looking for input regarding a boat trailer winch. Will be loading a Starcraft 21' V-hull onto a trailer with bunks.

So a long pull with friction. Thoughts on brands and models?

Thanks

Tim

Had friction trouble with my Southbay, sprayed with Mary Kate bunk spray [silicone] and had to keep the winch connected or it would slide off. Put on roller guides cause the boat slid sideways also.

Tim, I'm going to try to put this mildly, but someone of your age should buy an electric trailer winch! (hehe)

Last edited:
Thanks Mike I appreciate your concern for my well being, but I drive the boat and leave the course work to the crew.

While I'm a compasionate and concerned captain I don't mollycoddle my crew as it's not good for their character.

Actually, I was thinking a mechanical winch would be less likely to stop working (no electrical connections to corrode, no dead batteries, etc.)

Upgrading from the 18' Starcraft? I would suggest looking at the winches in "overtons.com". I bought a 2-speed winch from them when I rebuilt my Dad's boat trailer. The winch pulls a 3,500 pound boat onto the trailer with ease.

Tim

Tim,

Check out northerntool.com and type in the Search box Boat Winch. There are two 2 speed winches listed Model 400069 - 1800# and Model 400072 -2,500#. $50.00 and $60.00!

I've got the big one on my Outrage trailer and it work great. Also I'd recommend a strap rather than rope or cable.

Art

Good morning

I'm looking for input regarding a boat trailer winch. Will be loading a Starcraft 21' V-hull onto a trailer with bunks.

So a long pull with friction. Thoughts on brands and models?

Thanks

Tim
Tim,

I'd probably run over to Bass Pro there in Peoria and check out what they have. I will suggest DO NO buy the offerings at Walmart! I have purchased 2 from them and the ratchet lock mechanism has failed on both.

Thanks guys!

Anyone have experience with Dutton Lainson winches?

Agree a 2 speed model is the way to go.

Tim C. - Hi Tim the 18' served us well, but we decided we wanted a little more foot room so we picked up a 21' Starcraft. Looks to me to be the same hull just longer and wider. I believe the 18' would fit inside this one. Thought beefing up the winch would be a good idea with the extra weight of a layout and several dozen handmades.

Back