boat transfer

Jim Boyer

Are there any tricks to transfering a 600 pound jon boat and motor from one trailer to another when the launches are iced over?
--------

Last edited:
Don't use a ramp. Back up to a convenient tree and use an appropriate attachment system (rope or nylon straps) to attach the back of the boat to tree. Using adequate support to protect the boat jack the stern up enough to take the weight off the back of the trailer. slowly drive away until the boat just passes the balance point, then put some adequate blocking under the keel, and finish driving away, leaving the boat supported by the blocks....then reverse the process with the new trailer.

If you lower the front trailer jack as low as it will go and place blocks at both sides of the transom.Then raise the jack up,the stern should lift up.Then jack up the boat from towards the bow and place blocks under it.Slide the trailer forward until you come to a cross member or axle then jack back up and place blocks behind obstruction and slide the trailer forward.You are basically walking the trailer out.Just be careful.I have done this with up to 28 ft. boats.Hopefully I explained it well enough.

I have taken the winch tower off the old trailer drop the tongue to the ground backed the new trailer to the bow and just winched up onto the new trailer

Back