Books on Duck Calls

Eric Patterson

Staff member
What books do you recommend for information on duck call collecting and history? I know of a few, but there are not nearly as many as decoy books. I bet you folks have a few gems I've not seen before.

A quick google books search landed these. There are fewer than I expected and pricier too.

Calling the Wild
The History of Arkansas Duck Calls; a Legacy of Craftsmanship and Rich Hunting Tradition
Mike Lewis $4,995.00
Duck Calls and Other Game CallsBrian J. McGrath $185.99
Duck Calls of Illinois, 1863-1963Robert D. Christensen $100.88
Turning Custom Duck and Game Calls
The Complete Guide for Craftsmen, Collectors, and Outdoorsmen
Ed Glenn, Greg Keats $18.87
Collecting Antique Bird Decoys and Duck Calls
An Identification and Price Guide
Carl Luckey, Russell E. Lewis $35.00
Minnesota Duck Calls
Yesterday's and Today's Folk Artists
Doug Lodermeier $197.50
Custom Calls
Duck and Goose Calls from Today's Craftsmen
James C. Fleming $24.97
Reelfoot Lake
History, Duck Call Makers, Hunting Tales
Russell H. Caldwell $334.00

Hi Eric

Try ABE books also for used copies. Even though it is owned by Amazon, it is not a mirror of what you find on Amazon. I buy lots of books there, it might help.

Some consider DUCK CALLS - AN AMERICAN FOLK ART by Howard Harlan & Crew Anderson to be the go to book on the subject. I met Mr. Harlan briefly when the book came out years ago, a very knowledgeable and passionate man on the subject of Duck Calls.

my 2 cents

Definitely Harlan's book. I have it, Calling the Wild, and the Illinois Duck Calls book.

If you are on Facebook, look up Ryan Graves from Mayfield, Kentucky. He's originally from Illinois, and I doubt there are many people around who know as much about collectible Illinois, Arkansas and Reelfoot calls as he does all the way back to Glodo (in Illinois, prior to moving to TN), the Slinn Brothers, etc. His collection was at the Bass Pro Pyramid in Memphis for a while, and a part of it was at RNT for a year or so.

He would be an incredible resource.

Vince

I'm not sure how Harlan's book got left off. I agree, it should top the list. The above list was hastily thrown together from a google books search to get the conversation started. Thanks.

Rick

I'm familiar with Ryan from his IG channel but didn't know his collection was on public display. Also, I seem to recall Howard sold his call collection when he got up in years so as to have it taken care of properly. At least I think that's what I heard. Any idea what the "Calling the Wild" book went for when it was released? Surely it climbed in value and wasn't 5k when first published.

I have this on on the shelf, not on your list but the author is. I stumbled onto it at Bargain Books for less than 10 buck, maybe less than 5, probably 15 years ago. Can't say it is the best book out there on the subject, but well worth what I paid.

full

Chuck

I have that book and think it is the cheapest book on the subject out there. I found it to have some good reference pictures in it.

Chuck

I have that book and think it is the cheapest book on the subject out there. I found it to have some good reference pictures in it.
If I recall Rutgers either knew Russell Lewis or he was a friend of a friend...been a long time, not sure anymore.

Rick

I'm familiar with Ryan from his IG channel but didn't know his collection was on public display. Also, I seem to recall Howard sold his call collection when he got up in years so as to have it taken care of properly. At least I think that's what I heard. Any idea what the "Calling the Wild" book went for when it was released? Surely it climbed in value and wasn't 5k when first published.
It was; I think someone else's collection is at the Pyramid now. He had part of it at RNT first, and then most/all of it went to the Pyramid for a year or two.

Ryan is a really decent person, has a lot of good stories and a lot, lot of knowledge.

Calling the Wild was probably in the $50-$100 range...I can't believe someone would ask 5 grand for it...I thought it was still in print. I'll see what my copy says.

Back