Boston Whaler Duck Boats?

Jay H

I just bought a 14 ft boston whaler that will be used primarily for duck, i have had carolina skiffs and other garveys, just wondering if anybody has ever used a boston whaler to hunt out of, i wanna get some ideas on how to layout my boat, i wanna build a blind on it and there is a magazine article on a blind for a boston whaler but it dosent give any pics. Even if it is just a tender boat, please post some pics so someone can put me in the right direction. Thanks guys

Hi Jay! We bought our 13 ft. Boston Whaler back in 1967. We used it at Saginaw Bay in Michigan by making a drive in ,floating blind out of conduit and aluminum rain gutters. It worked fine! We would just drive the BW into the blind and then out to retrieve our birds. Used it a lot as a Lay-out boat tender, too. We then bought a 17 ft BW, when we moved to California. Used that as a tender for both a Lay-out and a Scull Boat. We could put both boat on the BW and go out 3+ miles into the Salton Sea to hunt Snow Geese. Never used it as a blind. Still have both of these boats. Didn't take any photos of the blind set up, back in the 60's. But can draw you a sketch of the folding, drive in blind, if you send me your Regular Mail address. Bob Hayden

Bob,

Youv'e peaked my interest. Could you post some sketches or your gutter blind to the site?

Thanks,

Ed L.

Hi Jay,
I have a bud who painted a 17' Montauk OD and camo. Made a great big water transport but it really did hurt the resale value. With those big gunnells, any kind of pop-up or extemporized blind should be possible.

Good luck,
Harry

if you ruin that pretty shiney white paint job, yes, it will hurt the resale value if you plan to hang on to it then you could make a blind with bimini hardware and have an awesome rig. ive seen carolina skiffs with collapsible blinds and the guys claim pretty good success.

Back