Bow/Stern Identification Help

Riley Oakes

Looking to get some help identifying which end would be considered the bow and stern. It is a double ender but I noticed that one end appears to “bow” more than the other. One end also has the top wood covering or extending further than the other end. I will try to add photos but it is hard to see.

Don’t judge too hard on the woodworking skills LOL.
IMG_3110.jpegIMG_3019.jpegIMG_2799.jpeg

Good morning, Riley~

Sweet little vessel! I would agree that the end with the longer deck is likely the bow.

Of course I am curious as to what you know about her. Any history? Where was she found? LOA and beam? (Pretty sure we all know her draft is "not much".....) I think I can see - and deduce from the ample framing - that her bottom is planked lengthwise - correct? Any sign of a skeg having been on the bottom at one time?

Riley Oakes Double-ender TEXT.jpg

I am most curious about the holes in the deck - A - D on the port side. Any ideas? I am wondering if they once held pipes or poles to support a canvas "blind". Such could once have been used for night lighting. Any chance the whitish color on the decks is white lead - the paste (thick paint) that would have been put down beneath canvas decks? Any sign of tack holes around the edges or beneath the quarter-round gunwale guards? (Or is it simply the pale grey paint used on the interior and floorboards?)

It looks like there were eyes (E) at both ends?

Also, was there a spray rail all along the side?

Best of luck on your restoration. I look forward to see her afloat!

SJS

The original position of the wood oar chocks with the rowing position forward of that position should give you ideas on what end is the bow. Another clue would be the floor cross supports at each frame. At centerline, the frames would be attached forward of the side ribs and aft of center on the other side of center

If that boat was intended to be poled by a person standing on the aft deck, the long deck would be the stern. It doesn't appear that's the case on this boat, as the deck isn't flat. I agree that the oarlock holder position is your best indicator.

If that boat was intended to be poled by a person standing on the aft deck, the long deck would be the stern. It doesn't appear that's the case on this boat, as the deck isn't flat. I agree that the oarlock holder position is your best indicator.
I believe all the rear decked boats I,ve seen made to be poled from rear deck have it recessed and not flush. Enabling the poler to feel the edge instead of stepping off into the drink. His is flush same as bow although the shape does remind one of a railbird skiff.

Good morning, Riley~

Sweet little vessel! I would agree that the end with the longer deck is likely the bow.

Of course I am curious as to what you know about her. Any history? Where was she found? LOA and beam? (Pretty sure we all know her draft is "not much".....) I think I can see - and deduce from the ample framing - that her bottom is planked lengthwise - correct? Any sign of a skeg having been on the bottom at one time?

View attachment 58843

I am most curious about the holes in the deck - A - D on the port side. Any ideas? I am wondering if they once held pipes or poles to support a canvas "blind". Such could once have been used for night lighting. Any chance the whitish color on the decks is white lead - the paste (thick paint) that would have been put down beneath canvas decks? Any sign of tack holes around the edges or beneath the quarter-round gunwale guards? (Or is it simply the pale grey paint used on the interior and floorboards?)

It looks like there were eyes (E) at both ends?

Also, was there a spray rail all along the side?

Best of luck on your restoration. I look forward to see her afloat!

SJS
History is minimal. My wife's family purchased the family "duck shack" back in the 70's in the Pugent Sound area of WA and this double ender (along with some solo sneak boats that are no longer around) came with the purchase. The bottom is indeed planking lengthwise (13' x 38" at its widest). No sign of a skeg.

No ideas about the holes. Yes, there were eyes at each end and there was a spray rail.IMG_3113.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning Riley, beautiful double ender you have!! in my opinion on most boats the longer deck is the bow. But sometimes with double enders and railbird skiffs the stern deck is longer so the gunner can stand and push with a push pole. That’s my knowledge but im also in southern New Jersey so we do think alittle differently

Looking to get some help identifying which end would be considered the bow and stern. It is a double ender but I noticed that one end appears to “bow” more than the other. One end also has the top wood covering or extending further than the other end. I will try to add photos but it is hard to see.

Don’t judge too hard on the woodworking skills LOL.
View attachment 58772View attachment 58773View attachment 58774
The longer end that has the double Deck beams is the stern. Was built stronger to stand on or sit on. Looks like that is or would make a good railbird skiff. The dimensions are exactly the size of most railbird skiffs. Rear decks are generally not recessed, but they often have a molding running around the perimeter. As boats get older this is often lost or falls off

Back