boykin spaniels

lee kent

I am interested in purchasing a Boykin. I would like any advice breeders, training, books etc. I am used to goldens and have always liked the boykins I am just a little skeptical because I do not know anybody who owns one. I have read all kinds of info on the web and it seems that they have great noses but are hard to train on blinds. I would like some feedback!

Thanks,
Lee

2hyxidc.jpg

Hard to train? Naw, mine has me trained quite well.

Seriously, they're great little dawgs. Beaudie is my return to the little brown dogs we had when I was a kid. He's not a lab but he is versatile waterfowl, upland and blood trailing. Go check the Boykin Spaniel Society site for info - http://www.boykinspaniel.org/

Mine is only 11 months, I think she picked up about 50 birds this year (she returned less than 50 to hand, but hey that was probably my fault). Mine is small, as we had an unexpected bout with Parvo as a pup and she was stunted a bit. That said, she has no problems with mallard sized birds, though she does a little better with teal. I had her pick up a specklebelly this year, but it was a little big for her. she is not as hard charging as a lab, but wow she is quick on the uptake with anything I want her to learn. You definitely need to train a little softer than with a lab (ie can't beat them with a 2x4 and then drop the 2x4 and have them retreive it). there is a great breeder in N. Alabama that sweeps most of the trials. If you want a pup, you really need to get on a waiting list soon. there is more demand than there are puppies from the good lines.

I considered getting one but everything that I read said that they are not the best dogs around little kids.

I was in SC at a strawberry picking farm and there were two boykins there. They were very friendly with me but as soon as my kids got out of the car they dogs hung their heads and changed their whole demeanor. Like a light switch. They wanted nothing to do with the kids. Call it an isolated incident but any lab would have the kids in a half pound of saliva in 15 seconds.

I believe rare breeds are rare for a reason. Usually any info or opinions written have been written by people who own the breed. It is hard to get a honest opinion on a breed without seeing them in action with your own eyes. Don't just take anyones word on it. Attend a HRC hunt test. This would be the best way to evaluate your options on different breeds.

any doubters can come play with mine. Or I'll come hunt her at your spot, if you can guarantee a limit!!

I don't have any idea what was wrong with the two you saw, but mine is as loyal and friendly as a lab. I would venture to say that if you worked up a problem solving experiment, the boykin would finish second only to poodles. I would have a standard poodle, but honestly they have too much personality and tend to be loners. I kinda like having a dog who wants to be next to you.

The boyking is rare simply because its a new breed, think milisecond in the history of dogs. Until now a dedicated group of breeders has aimed to advance the positive characteristics of the breed, by limiting the breedings to desirable stock, and attempting to limit inbreeding. In the past few years the popularity has exploded, and it seems there are breeders popping up everywhere. I hope they don't go the way of the lab, where every third house on the block has a litter, and their are registered dogs in colors that were never meant to be in the standard. I love labs and will have more, but it really is a shame that hips/eyes/heart aren't given more emphasis by more breeders and buyers.

thanks, A "biased" boykin owner, and damn proud of it.

Last edited:
Ironic update, as i was replying to the last post, i heard my dogs making noise in the yard. i went down, and a lady was petting them through the gate with her 18 month old daughter. They looked pretty friendly to me.

I love labs and will have more, but it really is a shame that hips/eyes/heart aren't given more emphasis by more breeders and buyers.

just when i think you can't get any dumber, you go and TOTALLY redeem yourself.

dearest knucklehead, you're simply looking in the wrong places (yes, the city paper down in that dump you live in, is the wrong place).

warm regards, your buddy, justin

Kris - Good for you that you have a friendly dog.

I was giving one example of several boykins that I met. None of them were fond of kids. I talked to two breeders as well and was told that they are not always great with kids. Not rumors...just what I saw first hand and was also told first hand.

Being that they are a new breed, I would expect that what is written is accurate. The info that I read was in Gun Dog and on breeders websites.

I think that they are beautiful dogs nonetheless and I'm sorry if my personal experience wasn't the best and properly representing the breed as you see that it should

My above post was a nice way of saying, I've seen quite a few in action and it was painful to say the least. If you want a mascot to take hunting this would be the proper direction to take. This is my honest opinion. Sometimes the truth hurts.

I have a boykin. Drove 11 hours to get him. He is 4 now and is still not house broke, never listened worth a dam but iks very friendly! I had trained 2 labs prior to getting the boykin but this was a different dog. Maybe I just got the wrong dog for me or maybe it was my fault with my training. I even had some help in training after the things I was doing were not working. The gentlemen I got him from was a pretty well known breeder in the area. Not to say you couldn'tmake a boykin a great retriever but I think you need to get a standout pup to get one. Good luck!

What ever you do get a boykin. No kidding I got my 4 years ago, I just can't say enough. He travels all over with me, when I get up to hunt he's at the door.
I bought mine in Alamo,Georgia from a woman who breeds them and she is very reasonable. If you want I'll check and see when her next litter is.
As far as training you get what you put in, thats with any dog. My brother also bought one of the Boykins from the same litter, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the dog, he never put the time in.
Although my dog is bomb proof he is protective. At the boat ramp 2 weeks ago a woman walked up and stuck her hand in the window, good thing he growls before he bites.
Oh yeah! He doesn't like troopers who walk up to the truck with their hats on. Don't get offender I'm on your side. All kidding aside I would highly recommend this breed.....John

My above post was a nice way of saying, I've seen quite a few in action and it was painful to say the least. If you want a mascot to take hunting this would be the proper direction to take. This is my honest opinion. Sometimes the truth hurts.

LOLOL - You need to watch some dogs that have been properly trained and bred...those little critters have more heart and go than most people would know what to do with.

Kris - Good for you that you have a friendly dog.

I was giving one example of several boykins that I met. None of them were fond of kids. I talked to two breeders as well and was told that they are not always great with kids. Not rumors...just what I saw first hand and was also told first hand.

Its been my experience that most if not all anti social behavior toward other people be it males, felmale, kids, ect ect. Is usually the fault of the owner during puppy hood, and NOT socializing the pup correctly....

...but then what the hell do I know. I'm just a dumb dog trainer....

Last edited:
Rich, your in Canada, no wonder you've seen some crappy Boykins. They were bred to hunt in shallow swamps in the mid south. If someone is looking for a timber hunting dog, dove dog and upland flushing dog a well bred Boykin will fit the bill. Just make sure the parents hunt. Just like a lab some are bred to hunt and some are bred to just be labs.

Not that I'm an expert but I don't think you can train 'em like a lab. They can't take it. I've had 3 labs and two Boykin.

This is my puppy, 16 months old, 33 lbs, and picked up over 200 birds, lives in the house w/ my three kids that ride him like a pony.

Watching one in the decoys

IMG_2274.jpg

Sit to deliver
IMG_2283.jpg

Marking a delayed double. Look at his tail, it didn't stop all morning.
IMG_2277.jpg

Not as suave as Chris' Beaudie but a damn site prettier.....

Last edited:

Not as suave as Chris' Beaudie but a damn site prettier..... [/QUOTE]

IMG_0933.jpg

Beaudie says to bring your "pretty" puppy up for a rumble on the Potomac. Bring that purty 20 ga along and I'll show you how to shoot it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love labs and will have more, but it really is a shame that hips/eyes/heart aren't given more emphasis by more breeders and buyers.

just when i think you can't get any dumber, you go and TOTALLY redeem yourself.

dearest knucklehead, you're simply looking in the wrong places (yes, the city paper down in that dump you live in, is the wrong place).

warm regards, your buddy, justin

My comment was about the breed in general. Yes, I am quite certain that 1% or so of the labs in the US are bred responsible with retreiving instinct as a priortiy, and emphasis on improving the breed. I am also quite confident that every AKC/UKC lab on my block (what conservatively 20 of them) have zero hunting background, and have never had hip/eye/heart checks.

bwahahahaahahahahaahahaha....

kris, you're a smart dude.......................but, as they say on EPSN'S NFL pre-game show - COME ON MAN!

breed for "retrieving instinct"? next you're gonna go off on a tangent concerning "natural sitting ability", "bringing birds back to hand naturally" and "soft mouths". and, the whole health thing is rapidly loosing aLOT of merit as well. lab health checks have come a million miles since i started running hunt tests. in fact, in the last 4-5 yrs, concerned parties have tackled more than one of the common lab issues and created test for such, aiding in breeding practices - EIC and CNM come to mind first..............again, a 300 dollar lab from "great hunting stock" is something i'd shy away from like genital warts - finding proper breedings for any animal is just TOO EASY with the internet.

boykins, water spaniels, or whatever the "off" flavor of the week is, if that's what you want, more power to you....different situations affect dogs differently - but i doubt seriously, one should take the word of anyone concerning a bad situation (that was most likely embellished) and i'm a bigger doubter of a "breed wide" dislike for children.

if a dog is raised from puppyhood on in a situation in which the bounderies for everyday living are defined AND followed, that dog (rotweiller, pit, or yes, the ferrocious boykin) will grow up to be a proper and respectful citizen. same for sitting to shot, bringing birds back to hand, not munching, etc etc.........ALL OF THESE issues that creep up are MAN MADE. period. they were either handled wrongly at jump street or standards were allowed to wither, creating that little monster.

i train a good bit with sam milton, owner/trainer/handler of 15 time national qualifier FC AFC Fordlands Bored Out Ford (ford for short) and also 8 time qualifier FC AFC Soupy (RIP). now, i personally watched ford pick up 8 (EIGHT) birds in a marking setup - that's 2x's a quad, so i guess i'll call it an octuplet. the marks range from a tad bit over 400 yds, to a serious memory wiper that was a flier in fords face. a couple of the marks retired also. when the dust settled, he remembered every last bird, and front footed them all..........in the 5, 6, or 7 yrs i've been out there training (ford's been retired for most of those) i've seen folks come from as far as canada to breed him, and he's sired an AWFUL lot of pups.............ford not with-standing, some of those "instinctive retrievers" with quite a few letters in front of and behind their names. and, in that time, i've trained with probably 2 dozen ford pups.

wanna know how many caused me to raise an eyebrow? less than 5. you simply can't "breed to retrieve", that's a ludicrous statement. and, since we have a "less than 1%" statement out there.......i'll make as wild and random of one:

more than 95% of todays labrador owners who hunt with their dogs have NO (zero, zilch) problem w/ that whole "instinctive retrieving" bit......................they just want the stupid sumbitch to sit still.

i've trained with a couple boykins, one was a bad little sucker from alabama that could flat out GO - i mean bad to the bone, would be proud to own him.......and, the other wasn't that great. in both instances, i fully believe that the owner and the training methods in general were as much to blame as the "breed". i say that b/c i've trained w/ some sorry azzed labs, goldens, and chessies in my time to.......and some that are, in fact, bad to the bone.

get the boykin, heck, get whatever you want.............it's your dog and in the end, it's gonna be your issues you have to clean up.

regards, justin

justin

Last edited:
Back