Bringing back a friendly safety tip....

Brad Taylor (NC)

For all of you wood boat owners (and others for that matter), some years ago someone posted about keeping some toilet bowl ring wax in the boat for emergency repair. Well, I tested it out this past Saturday. For those of you that remember, I designed a wooden mudboat back in 2008 and to this point it has taken a ton of abuse quite well. Fast forward to this past Saturday when scouting a little creek, the boat hit an undewater log which kicked the stern of the boat into some unknown and very solid underwater object. Whatever it was punched through two layers of 6 oz glass, a layer of kevlar and a 1/4" of ply making a quarter sized hole which quickly began taking in water. I was composed, hit the bilge, and maneuvered the bow of the boat up on the nearest low bank. I have a bucket with 5 or so wax rings in it. I quickly scooped up a handful and worked it into the hole from the interior of the boat and added a little more from the outside just for safe measure. Stopped the water and allowed me to run the 6 or so miles back to the house at full throttle with no issues.

As for the repair, I had to cut a 3 x 10 inch piece of the side out. I cut a replacement piece and filled around it with thickened epoxy, covered the exterior with a piece of biaxial tape and a scrap piece of 6 oz cloth. Will finish up with a piece of biaxial on the interior after it sets. Should be back in business by the weekend.

Anyway, the wax really kept the situation from becoming worse and while our lives weren't really in danger, it kept me from having my boat sitting under 6' of water!

Brad

I missed that post, but that sure is a good idea that I never thought of. I wonder if a small piece of cloth or material of some sort, imbedded in the wax, would help out on a larger hole?

I also heard tales of guys carrying a lightweight tarp, large enough to cover the bottom of the hull. in the same scenario, apparently one could sorta "run over" the tarp, at least well over the hole when up and going. The pressure of the water will keep the tarp tight against the hull allowing an emergency run to shore. As a matter of fact, I seem to remember somebody on this site doing just so.

I hope I never have to test either repair...

Jon

Ps- mental note to add some to my emergency repair kit.

Last edited:
I'll have to put one in next to this stack of maxi pads in my first aid kit.

Stop laughing, they are incredibly absorbent and fantastic for large wounds.

It may have been discussed in the previous post, but myself and many friends carry "Stay Afloat" aboard our fishing boats in case of any hull breaches. It's the same thing as the wax ring, just in a small tub.

I haven't tried the wax rings or tarp ideas but they sound good. Twice in my life, back when we used 16-18' wood boats, we punched a hole which was promptly plugged with a wool hat. Put your foot on it and get to shore. I would think the wax or tarp might be a better solution, but a hat works ok in a pinch. We've been lucky with tin boats, you can put a pretty big dent in one without it perforating.

Craig that was actually the old post I recalled. Someone in it mentioned that toilet bowl wax was the same thing. I bought 5 or so and put them in a little tub. Cheap insurance for sure.

Brad

Killed half of what we saw yesterday. Which was 2. A black and a gadwall :(. I think i may have alot of gear for sale at the end of this season

Back