Bronze sculpture pics

Kelly Peterson

Hi,
Im a frequent reader but seldom post. This is a small bronze I recently completed
HPIM0242.jpg

HPIM0250.jpg

HPIM0234-1.jpg

Hold the phone! We've been searching for a site logo to go on t-shirts and that 2nd picture ROCKS. Is there anyway we could use a likeness of that in a logo for site t shirts/hats? Do you have any sketches?

Eric,
If the image could be used to help the site that would be great I would be happy for a chance to help out.
I do most sketching for my sculpture work in 3-D so I dont have any sketches but I would be happy to work something up if it will help. Also someone who knows how to use a camary could come up with much better photos than the few (out of focus) ones that I have.
Kelly

Kelly: great bronze a lot of us have been in the same water with our barnegats that your bronze depic,s poat a price of your work if ok with Erick/Steve best Bill

Kelly beautiful work. Like some of the others asked...is your work for sale? That looks like a "I have to have"

Bill

I would also be very interested in purchasing. They have alot of meaning to the fellows on this site and they are great. They remind me of the prints that I have from Chet Reneson that he did in the seventies.

Because of my respect for the non-commercial-ness of this site coupled with my distaste for spammers, I will answer inquiries by pm.
Thank you for your kind words and interest. I have been infatuated by the history of waterfowling and the bbsb since first discovering it threw sporting magazines as a boy 40 years ago. From an artist perspective I have always thought the bbsb is a thing of beauty and the sport of waterfowling it's self is amazingly asthetic with the boat building and decoy carving not to mention the beautiful calls , shell boxes, taxidermy,firearms and on and on. so Im glade a few of you liked it, Im in utah and have only seen one other bbsb besides my own susquhanna warerfowler. so it means something to me that a few of you east coasters noticed it, thanks.
Bll Bennett interesting you mentioned Chet Reneson ,when I was first getting into art in the 70s Chets work was some that I admired ,it felt like sporting art,some of thoes snow sceens would make my face numb.
again thanks guys
Kelly

nuvan@comcast.net with a pone number where I can call you....I'd like to talk to you about your bronze.....

Nice to hear theres a BBSB in Idaho....we've got a little "colony" of them here on the Westside.....not many but more than you've seen in Idaho....come over next season and hunt an east coast made boat on the west coast.....

Steve

How does one go about making a bronze scupture? Have you made more than this one or was this your first?

I picked up this one a yr ago and love it. I have an alumacraft ducker and use it 9 out of 10 times I hunt. So when I saw this I had to get it.

There is just something about the way bronze looks. Thanks for sharing your work!!

Dusux.jpg

Steve,
e-mail sent,I won't be in the shop the next to days, call me at home any time .

Idaho,Utah, I guess us moutain states all look the same to you west coasters. ha ha
Hunting with other bbsb's would be great. maybe some day. (your planting ideas in my head, maybe some day I'll hook up the bbsb and do a Hitch style hunting tour through all the western states.

Matt,
Thats a fun piece, I considered putting a retriever (anxious to go into the water after the downed duck) on the rear deck of my piece .
It's interesting that you were drawn to your sculpture because of your "alumacraft". At least from the camera angle shown it appears that the boat is the item sculpted with the most care and detail. It sort of makes it the center of interest even though there are alot of other things going on around it. It makes a neat piece.

This is my first waterfowl subject but I have been sculpting for about 13 years

Making a bronze is a pretty lengthy process. In a nutshell ,you first make the original model (in my case I sculpted it in clay and wax)
From the model you make a rubber mold, using the mold you make wax replicas of the original . Then the wax model replica is basically in-cased in a ceramic material , then you melt out the wax (thus the "Lost wax" process).
With the wax out of the ceramic you have a void inside that is the shape of the sculpture.
Bronze is heated to 1800 degrees and poured into the void and you have a bronze.
Then the bronze chaseing process where small parts may be welded on and casting defects are corrected.
The Patina or coloration is another art in its self where chemicals (mostly minerals) are applied to achieve the different colors. I hope that makes sense.
Kelly

Kelly I really like your sculpture...Being the proud new owner of a BBSB I love seeing the history and culture behind those beautiful little boats!

THanks for sharing

Zach

Dear Kelly:

I've been looking for several years for a BBSB bronze, and your creation exceeds my highest expectations. It is terrific. I am hopeful that I can purchase one from you. I'd be grateful if you'd let me know if this is possible and how can might go about making it happen.

I'm located in Connecticut and hunt our salt marshes here in my old handmade wooden Zack Taylor BBSB. As a waterfowler for more than 30 years, I'm a relative late comer to the BBSB. Nonetheless, it's become my favorite way to spend time with the birds. I don't know what it is about these boats, but I find them entirely magical.

You can reach me by email at thomas_hyatte@swissre.com or by phone at 203 550 3843.

Many thanks,

Tom

Back