builder question (PICS)

Sean Simoes

I just bought a sneak box and was wondering if anyone could tell me who the builder was and possibly when it was made. The boat is 12 ft long and in New Jersey planked decking no drain hole

Last edited:
Looks like a Zack Taylor Widgeon. Lots of home boat builders have built these from plans in Zack Taylor's "Successful Waterfowling" .

It's not a ZTW. The ZTW has a V shaped hull when viewed from the stern. It looks like plans I've seen for a boat called the Scaup. It was a shear sided BBSB with the deck and hull having the same arch. The plans were for a planked hull and deck as opposed to the plywood used in the ZTW. I have a copy of the plans somewhere. It also seems like they are on this site too.

Last edited:
Not a Zack Taylor Widgeon. Although there are both a plywood "V" bottom, and a true rounded plank bottom version of the boat, the one in the photo has wrong lines and dimensions for a Widgeon.

Other than that, I have no clue.

Very nice looking rig however. I would certainly consider here a keeper!

Jon

Agree that it looks like the Scaup. 1942 Field and Stream magazine article by Harry Megargee.

http://duckboats.net.nmsrv.com/specs/images/bbsb.tif

2689198401_4ec2bd30c8_zpsv81ijnmh.jpg

Dave it does look like a scaulp the boat is decked the guy I got it from said somthing about it being build by two brothers or duke brothers and originally built in the 60s I think it looks almost alike that picture above from the field and stream magazine. Thanks for the info. The boat also has no drain hole but I hear that is common in an order sneak box has the place to put the sponge.

Last edited:
a drain hole would leak in that boat I believe, because the wood swells and shrinks...Definately looks like a home made job.
Looks good for the river or getting up in the shallows, I would be careful in the bay with that though

Last edited:
Really? The guy I got it from said he had it in some rough water and it wasn't to bad because its a displacement hull. I haven't been out in it but I don't plan on being in much big water anyway and I appreciate the safety warning better safe than sorry .

I don't see any indication that it needs to swell (wood plank). It appears to be sheathed in glass of some kind.

Sean lets see a picture of the bottom of the boat from the side. It will give us a better idea of if its a displacement or planning hull. There is no way to know for sure looking at just what you posted.

Hard to say. It does look like it has some rocker to it and its not sitting flat on the bunk on the trailer. So I would say its displacement although its not a crazy amount of rocker like I have seen on some other BBSB.

Its a planked boat with sheer sides. There is a guy in Florence Twp that makes a boat like that. Not sure if he is still alive.

Back