Building the aluminum NFZ.

Brad Taylor (NC)

Hello all. The aluminum NFZ is well underway and with good hopes of completion date by the 1st of October.

Again for reference, here's what the final product should mirror.
On_water.jpg

Just thought I would share a few pictures.

Looking down the boat. Hull is 1/8" and bulkheads are 3/16" and the way she is going to be braced, she will be built to take anything you can throw at her.
DSC_0182.jpg

There will be a false floor welded to the top of the longitudinals and side to side pieces. The voids will be filled with foam to add additional emergency floation (roughly 9 cubic feet) although the bulk of the foam will be located in the sectioned off compartments and rear deck.
DSC_0183.jpg

Transom is a beast!
DSC_0184.jpg

Rear deck mocked into place. There will be another identical bulkhead placed ahead of the one seen to create the running seat.
DSC_0185-1.jpg

Brad

Looking good Brad! That is going to be one heck of a nice boat.

Please keep us up to date with progress pics.

Regards,

Todd

Looks great
Do you have any idea what the horsepower rating will be?
How much water will it draw?

Thanks all. Its definitely an exciting time here around Toller Boatworks!

Geo. A quick calculation puts the HP rating at 55hp according to the rough dimensions I have on paper. Of course, the actual rating will be calculated once the boat is completed. Draft should be right around 5" but again, thats going on what I know about the wooden version. So until we float test it, we won't know.

Brad

Brad,
That boat looks so sweet. You should be very proud of the work you have done and are doing!! Please keep the pictures coming as you progress. At one point you were talking about coming to NJ to the Tuckerton Show. Are you still planing on making the trip north for the show? I see your date of Oct. 1st to finish but was wondering if you were coming. I know people would love to see the wooden boats you've built and know that all welded are in the works. I am taking welding classes this fall so I really enjoy seeing these type of boats. Keep up the good work and best of luck to you .

Oh also any idea of aprox. Weight?

Lookin good Brad. How much foam total will it contain?

Thanks Howard. Not 100% sure. The front compartment will be sectioned with foam on the exterior, the running seat will be sectioned and foamfilled to the top of the cockpit and then the rear deck will be foam filled as well. Couple that with the foam under the floor and we will probably have room for 25 cubic feet of foam or so without having to add any areas for additional foam. Obviously, I'll run all the numbers once we get closer and adjust the capacity accordingly. How far are you from the testing facility? Wouldn't mind meeting you in person when we take her up. Thanks again for the help on the capacity plates for my last DH.

Brad

Brad,
That boat looks so sweet. You should be very proud of the work you have done and are doing!! Please keep the pictures coming as you progress. At one point you were talking about coming to NJ to the Tuckerton Show. Are you still planing on making the trip north for the show? I see your date of Oct. 1st to finish but was wondering if you were coming. I know people would love to see the wooden boats you've built and know that all welded are in the works. I am taking welding classes this fall so I really enjoy seeing these type of boats. Keep up the good work and best of luck to you .

Oh also any idea of aprox. Weight?

Chris...we had some issues with the spool gun that set us back a week. I knew it would be pushing it even as it stood before, so this year is looking to be out of the picture. However, I would fully expect us to be there next year. As for the weight, the wooden version weighs in at 660lbs and we are hoping for the aluminum version to come in below that. Of course, its a catch 22 as we are also building her to be tough enough to handle any abuse that she may encounter running a mudmotor.

Brad

Actually less than 2 hours from Soloman. Let me know for sure when your appointment will be and I'll try to work something out. Shouldn't be too difficult. There is a Comfort Inn and a Holiday Inn just after you cross the bridge. Behind the Comfort Inn is a restaurant called the Captains Table, nice place for breakfast. Right on the water. Try the Naughty Gull for dinner. I suggest the fried oysters there. While the boat is soaking you might want to take in the Watermans Museum. You have to drive past it to get to the Comfort Inn. Prices on the island are not at all hateful. Sandy and I always make a short his n her getaway when we take a boat over there. I still need to get my 17 footer certified this year. If I can be of any more help, feel free to call.

Actually less than 2 hours from Soloman. Let me know for sure when your appointment will be and I'll try to work something out. Shouldn't be too difficult. There is a Comfort Inn and a Holiday Inn just after you cross the bridge. Behind the Comfort Inn is a restaurant called the Captains Table, nice place for breakfast. Right on the water. Try the Naughty Gull for dinner. I suggest the fried oysters there. While the boat is soaking you might want to take in the Watermans Museum. You have to drive past it to get to the Comfort Inn. Prices on the island are not at all hateful. Sandy and I always make a short his n her getaway when we take a boat over there. I still need to get my 17 footer certified this year. If I can be of any more help, feel free to call.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll be sure to give you a heads up when we set up our testing.

Brad

Some more pics...

There will be rub rail where the lower sides meet the vertical just like the wooden version.
IMG_2416.jpg

Rear running seat. Here you can see how it will be sectioned off, each of the outer sections will be filled with 2 part urethane foam. There will be a false floor on the interior where half of it is welded in place. Here will sit the battery trays, while the removable section will come out for easy access to clean out underneath.
IMG_2417.jpg

Another view.
IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

Knees will go into place this week. If all goes as planned should be working on electrical with the next week or two.

Brad

Some more pics.

Looking down the boat. Still 2 sets of knees to be fabricated. Foam laid into place except for the outer portions.
Sep212011013.jpg

Another view.
Sep212011007.jpg

Control panel. Accessories mocked into place. BEP switch panel, fuel gauge, 2 aux outlets, switch for manual/auto bilge. Also a lighted glove box.
Sep212011009.jpg

Side view. The cutout will have a semi flush mounted auto style fuse panel with a cover for easy access.
Sep212011011.jpg

Better view of the knees where you can see the cutouts for the gunracks and paddle holders.
Sep212011005.jpg

Back of the panel, which by the way has easy access with cam locks on the main portion in case the owner would ever like to add accessories or need to replace any parts.
Sep212011023.jpg

Starting to come together! Won't be long and I'll have it here at the house to pour the emergency floation in the compartments and complete the electrical.
Speaking of accessories. Standard items on the boat will include (in no particular order):

• Full emergency floation
  • BEP Waterproof lighted switch panel
  • 4 12v auxillary outlets
  • Hydroturf on the floor and non skid spray on liner on the decks
  • 2 1000gph bilge pumps, one on float switch and one on manual
  • 15 LED lights lighting the cockpit and all compartments
  • Built in permanent 12 gallon tank.
  • Fuel gauge
  • 2 bank onboard battery charger with easy external plug in access above the rear deck
  • 2 bench seats with dry storage in each
  • Running seat with storage, also 2 battery trays located in this compartment.
  • Fog and Driving lights
  • Grass rails similar to the wooden version fabricated out of aluminum
  • Lock, Stock and Barrell Flat Marine Enamel base coat and my own custom camo job
  • All marine tinned wire.
  • Removable grab bar

We have a couple of ideas for optional items such as a winch in the front compartment, a dog ladder that attaches to the rear deck and a blind. The blind idea is quite simple but we would have to outsource the canvas work.

Brad

Awesome looking boat brad. Are there plans to make other boats that you have done in wood like the DHMINI or HELLCAT?

Great boat. Are you doing the welding Brad?

No, not on this one. At this point I'm learning. I working with a good friend of mine, who after 20 or so years in the racing/fabrication industry opened his own shop. This is a joint venture between the two of us.

Brad

are you going to start making these for sale in addition to your wood boats?
that boat is awesome, i just bought an aluminum bbsb this year but that would be perfect for if i want a buddy to go.
i guess ill have to start saving up again,
money doesn't make you happy, a lot of duck boats do

Back