Buying Waders

KThompson

Well, I'm in the market for some new waders and I'm not sure what to get. I've always been a fan of Lacrosse Brush Tuff series but since the winters just seem to keep getting warmer down south I need to find neoprene's that are 3mm and 1000 gms insulation in the boot or less. Last year I bought a pretty nice pair from Mack's PW that kept me from sweating all season but they leaked at the seams and I sent them in for replacements twice. The second time I sent them back they just refunded my money so it's kind of like I rented a pair for the season and just lost out on shipping two times. Any suggestions on lighter neoprenes that will last? Since I've got a real job and a new child I won't be getting my 30+ mornings a season like I use to but I still want something durable.

Kyle,you might look into Cabelas Dry Plus breatable waders In chest and waist high.600 grams insulation in the boot.

I second the nomination for breathables. I bought a pair of DryPlus three years ago and wore them the early season. The next year most of the season and last year ALL of the season. Don't know if I will go back to those heavy, clammy, stinky 5mm neoprenes again......

I've got a couple pair of breathables - one set of clearwaters that I used for warm weather fishing and a pair of orvis waist high ones. The material on the orvis ones is a lot tougher but seems less breathable.

Personally I like the cabelas warrior ones I got several years ago - they're breathable, but have neoprene in the seat and knees, and are pretty sturdy cloth. They may be too warm for a guy in the southern states though. They work well from early to late for VT hunting, with the proper layering.

Charlie

I've also been looking at some lighter waders. Not that it's getting warmer here in MN, I've been doing more jump shooting and walking. I end up just as wet from sweat as if my waders were leaking! ;)
I was looking at the Hodgeman breathable zipper waders. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0049689830936a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=breatable+waders&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=breatable+waders&noImage=0

Just haven't pulled the trigger on these yet!

Anyone else looke at these? Any comments?

I'd absolutely go with breathable waders (Gore Tex, Dry Plus, etc.) I tried neoprenes for years and all I did was swet, even in ice conditions, which made me colder. I have an 8-year old pair of Gander Mtn. breathable waders that have made it through warm and cold days (20 to 80 degrees) hunting from Nebraska to Nodak to Minnesota to Ontario. You can just add or subtract clothing underneath as weather dictates. They are lightweight, non bulky and not clammy.
They just sprung their first small leak but I patched it with Goop and they are totally dry. I used them Monday for the Ontario duck opener and not a problem.
There are several different brands, including Cabelas, out there.

I just bought a pair from Wing Supply 2 or 3 weeks ago. They were $100. They're Hodgeman 3.5 mm neoprene with 600 gram thinsulate in the boots. Have a hand warmer pocket and 2 "D" style loops on the suspenders. Here's a link to them. They're very comfy and easy to put on/take off.

Waders

Last edited:
Back