BWCAW-- a few photos

Huntindave McCann

Sponsor
I took a bit of time off from work following Labor day and headed north, north to the BWCAW. For those of you unfamiliar with it, that stands for the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness which is located along the MN/Canada border.

Here are a few random pictures from that week in the wilderness.

My home away from home.

IMG_8155-P.jpg

IMG_8150-P.jpg

IMG_8148-P.jpg

My companions for the week.

IMG_8265-P.jpg

IMG_8208-P.jpg

IMG_8178-P.jpg

IMG_8217-P.jpg

A few more visitors.

IMG_8198-P.jpg

IMG_8185-P.jpg

IMG_8420-P.jpg

IMG_8454-P.jpg

This fella was with a family of four. He found some "Y" bones and seemed quite happy with himself.

IMG_8333-P.jpg

IMG_8336-P.jpg

IMG_8345-P.jpg

IMG_8355-P.jpg

The weather was perfect and the company excellent. I won't bore you with the other 600 pictures I took.

Oh Dave! Bore me! Bore me somemore! PLEEEAAASSSEEE?

Love the otter....sure looks like a nice time. Did you have issues with biting/bloodsucking bugs? Skeeters? Flies? Was that a campground that you stayed at? In the okeefenokee you can reserve platforms in the swamp to camp on if you're into the canoe camping (though if they've all burned down at this point I don't know). Is that the way it works up there, or are there multiple campsites where you stayed?

It's very pretty up there.

Dani

That's a neat trip up there. I haven't been to the Boundary waters since I was a kid. Don't remember much other than my dad saying we were on Gun Flint road and a bear that walked into camp. Not sure who scared who the most. We all jumped and ran in opposite directions.

Take care,

Ed L.

Dani- I've been there a few times. Camp sites are on a first come first serve baisis. They are on islands and points all over the area. There is a couple ways to "do" the Boundry Waters: first is to move every day and make a big loop through all the different water ways so you end up back at your truck, or you can travel out and have along first and last day and set up camp and then take day trips around the area.

Dani,

The Boundary Waters Canoe Area has specified entry points for entry by watercraft or hiking. The entry points surround the 1,000,000+ acres of land which makes up the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Certainly BWCA entry points allow motor boat entry, but most are designated for non-motor access and require a portage of watercraft and gear from the parking area to the landing. Permits are required to enter the BWCA and overnight permits are reserved for a specific entry day and entry point. Overnight camping and day use motor permits are restricted by entry point to only so many reservations per calendar day. This reduces impact to the environment and attempts to manage the availability camp sites and privacy in the Boundary Waters.

Link to typical entry point info

Once you enter into the area you have free rein to go anywhere but you must camp only at an unoccupied designated campsite. Campsite locations are shown on the maps but not marked by any signage in the field. Each campsite will have a US Forest service fire grate and a latrine. The latrine is a fiberglass "throne", nothing more, just you and the trees and the throne.

During peak usage, finding an unoccupied campsite can be a problem at times. That just means that you must paddle/portage on to the next lake in hopes of finding one there. This time of year there are far fewer people using the area and unoccupied sites are almost always available anywhere you go. Most days I was the only one on that particular lake that day. I moved three times during the week I was there, just for a change in scenery and fishing conditions.

This time of year the bugs are not bad at all. Jacket weather in the mornings and tee shirt during the day.

The other side of the coin is that when going solo into an area with few visitors, there is a reduced chance of having anybody's help, should one suffer an injury. Just means that you have to go prepared and not get careless.

Last edited:
Is this the US side...Spent many of year traveling the Boundary Waters from the Quetico side...Many of trips out of Beaverhouse or French lake depending on the route...Love it up...Did you see the Auro any on the trip...Great fishing and fun...I wish I was there after seeing your pictures...

Regards,

Kristan

This is the area I went to. I started at Sawbill lake (far right) and went thru Alton, Beth stopping at Grace lake for overnight. The next day I moved over to Pheobe lake, staying there several days. On the way out, I stopped at Beth lake for a couple days, before heading back out on the final leg.

The green line shows my route.

View attachment BWCA.jpg

Kristan,

US side this time. Northern lights were not active on this trip although I have seen them several times before. I ended up packing out food because I was eating fish so much. :>) :>) I was a little disappointed that I was unable to take any good photos of moose during this trip, that was one of my goals this trip.

I recommend the next time you go...Start out of French Lake into Pickeral Lake...Over to Dore...Down into the Twin Sister...South into Sturgeon into the narrows then make a left up into Russel Lake...You have Chatterton Falls that empties into Russel...Lots of wonderful points off the islands you can sleep on within sight distance of the falls...Nothing like falling asleep to the sound of a fall rolling all night...Some really good fishing below the falls as well...Don't forget to throw a deep diving plug out in Pickeral or Sturgeon...Nice lakers...

Regards,

Kristan

Looks like you had a nice trip there eh. You catch some of dem nordern pikes up Nort? Uffda, dat looks like a long way to paddle that boat over yonder.

That had to be a fun trip this time of year. MN is really a great state to explore. Never been that far to the northeast, going to have to go that way some day.

Tim

Looks like a great time ya had up there! I love the companions ya had while there. It tis a shame to have to bring back food cause the fishing went so well ;-). A trip to that area is on my bucket list! I'm glad a good time was had.
Dennis

Kristan,

I'll have to look into that. On my way to Alaska I stayed at a similar spot in BC near a falls, Smith River Falls. Liked it so much I made a point to also spend a night there, on my return trip home .

Tim,

A few Northerns but primarily Smallmouth Bass. The paddleing was the easy part. The portages are getty harder every year, imagine that!

Hey Dave, neat pics, bring back a lot of memories, and you'll be happy to know you made ME feel old today. It's been 20 years since I was up there. Dang, they are making the 'Thunder Boxes' out of fiberglass now...

I entered off the Gunflint trail which heads north out of Grand Marias (which if I recall is the last decent size town along the North shore of Lake Superior before you get to the border). My highschool English teacher had a cabin on Gull Lake, probably still does as he intended to retire and live there year round if I recall. One year we crossed over to Quetico Provincial Park and back, all in the wilderness. Quetico at least at that time was more wild than BWCA in my view. Some differences in rules but same concept overall, and you need separate permits that need to be applied for early.

Dani, as much as people complain about the north woods blackflies, the worst biting/sucking bug infested wilderness I've camped in was the Everglades...went canoe camping on the Chickee platforms, that was definately a unique experience.

Thanks for sharing Dave,
Chuck

Dave
Thanks for sharing your trip. Like many on this site I have enjoyed the area on a few trips. Evidently you got out before the big fire? The smoke from that fire traveled South thru Wisconsin.
wis boz

Back