Cabela's costumer service

I'm not sure how many of you are aware, but Cabela's recently changed their return policy. They pro-rate returns on cabelas brand clothing (waders, etc) based on wear / time since purchase. I am fuzzy on the details, but it's something like free replacement within the 1st year, then it becomes less. I was very surprised to hear that (and disappointed). The service desk has pushed this as a gentle reminder during recent returns, letting me know that their policy changed but they would still process my return.

Also, they now sell "Service Plans" on all their Cabela's Brand (and probably other brand) equipment and clothing. This was probably the motive behind them changing their return policy. I bought 1 year of protection for my $95 Cabela's fishing rod for around $5 I believe.

I did remind Cabela's that LL Bean has an unconditional return policy :)

I am still a fan of Cabela's clothing/gear. Even with the modified return policy, still a pretty good guarantee.

-Paul

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many of you are aware, but Cabela's recently changed their return policy. They pro-rate returns on cabelas brand clothing (waders, etc) based on wear / time since purchase. I am fuzzy on the details, but it's something like free replacement within the 1st year, then it becomes less. I was very surprised to hear that (and disappointed). The service desk has pushed this as a gentle reminder during recent returns, letting me know that their policy changed but they would still process my return.

Also, they now sell "Service Plans" on all their Cabela's Brand (and probably other brand) equipment and clothing. This was probably the motive behind them changing their return policy. I bought 1 year of protection for my $95 Cabela's fishing rod for around $5 I believe.

I did remind Cabela's that LL Bean has an unconditional return policy :)

I am still a fan of Cabela's clothing/gear. Even with the modified return policy, still a pretty good guarantee.

-Paul

Yes, they have made a change officially. I have not seen a large effect other than they sent me a somewhat nasty note along with a return saying that it was out of warranty, but they would replace the item anyway (this was for a Cabelas branded item).

Their stuff can be somewhat spotty and I pick adn choose what I buy from them - I'm willing to take the risk if I know they will back me up. I'm not willing to return a pair of waders that I puncture, but I will send a pair back if they start to leak along the seams after a season (but not after a couple seasons). Boots should last several years, I've happily sent 2 pairs of boots back to them over the years that failed in ways that couldn't be fixed without ruining the liner, both pairs were returned after a season of moderate and exclusively field use - but the boots had years of life in them if they hadn't fallen apart (all components looked good - soles, laces, leather etc.., except the part that failed). The stores are more hesitant to accept returns than via mail.

T

Back