can you paint galvanized metal?

Capt. John

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me here. I'm buying a new surface drive godevil motor but since I run in salt marshes I need it to be galvanized. The new galvanizd surface drives are very bright. I was either gonna put camo clad on it or just paint it but was not sure if paint would mess up the galvanizing? I could be over thinking this completly but I really dont want to mess it up. I thought the permanant camoclad wrap might keep it a bit more water repelant also. Any opinions?
Thanks, John

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me here. I'm buying a new surface drive godevil motor but since I run in salt marshes I need it to be galvanized. The new galvanizd surface drives are very bright. I was either gonna put camo clad on it or just paint it but was not sure if paint would mess up the galvanizing? I could be over thinking this completly but I really dont want to mess it up. I thought the permanant camoclad wrap might keep it a bit more water repelant also. Any opinions?
Thanks, John

Galv will dull to a grey with time.... if you paint wipe it with vinegar before you prime. I wouldn't sand, it'll take the zinc off and let it rust.

Last edited:
Capt. just wipe it with mineral spirits and paint it. If you need to you can rough it up with steel wool first................Kevin

John,

Get ahold of Lou...he's got a primer he sells that should be just what you need, plus he'll tell you just what you need to do to prep it and you can get some Freeking Miracle Enamel to top it off.

Chuck

Lots of ways to contact him here:

http://www.lockstockbarrell.com/

hey guys i am a sheetmetal worker from nyc what you have to do is acid etch the zinc the easiest way to do this is wipe it down with straight white vinigar from the kitchen what it does is put a small micro etched tooth on the zinc for the paint to grab on to we do this all the time in the shop with galvinized duct and metal for painting ,, try and use an oil based finish if poss

lou's primer is oil based and will still need the acid wash with vinigar otherwise the paint and i mean any paint will eventually flake off

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I needed to here. I will contact Lou soon, He helped me rehab an old scull boat last summer, great guy to deal with.
John

You can also buy galvanized primer products at Home Depot or other similar places. I've had a can of the stuff for many years and use it to prime my conduit blinds prior to painting.

Mark W

Back