carving knives revisited

Huntindave McCann

Sponsor
[font "Arial"]Several years back while I was still employed in the machine shop, I made myself several wood carving knives. I did this, after being inspired by seeing a set of knives that George Goodsell had made for himself. We both worked in different tool and die shops yet had the same materials and equipment available to us, so it just seemed like a good project for me.[/font]

Fast forward to today. In response to some recent communication, I got out my original knife set and the materials I still had on hand for making knives. ( I have since retired from the machine shop) In my box of parts and pieces, I saw some very interesting handle material. There were two blocks of wood, which had been rough sawn to a handle shape but never completed. This was no ordinary lumber yard wood.

I have a good friend who owns a portable saw mill. Several years back he was tasked with milling up a tree that had been felled in North Dakota. This tree is a Burr Oak, that was 400 years old when it was felled. My friend had gifted me with two small pieces of this wood and I had squirreled it away for knife handles.

I finally got around to completing those handles and today I would like to show you these two knives. I've explained the handles. The blades have been cut and reshaped from old files.

[font "Arial"]Old wood and old files, a fitting combination.[/font]

[font "Arial"]20231129_080340.jpg[/font]

[font "Arial"]20231129_080408.jpg[/font]

Last edited:
[quote Eric Patterson]Dave

Those are gorgeous. What is the finish? I suspect buffed paste wax.

Eric[/quote]

Several coats of home brew wood turners "shine juice". One third denatured alcohol, one third linseed oil and one third wax free sanding sealer.

Dave
amazing wood and finished product. How do you inlet for the blade? is it a fitted square shank blade or a round?

[quote Bob B]Dave
amazing wood and finished product. How do you inlet for the blade? is it a fitted square shank blade or a round?[/quote]

The tangs range from .025 to .060 inch in thickness, with a width of .350 to .460 inch. Length of the tang section varies but never more than an inch. The handles are one piece, therefore the connection is that of a "hidden" tang.

I plunge mill the slot with a solid carbide endmill. It can be a challenge to clear the chips out of the slot as it becomes deeper (about an inch). Continuous air blast on the cutter and a pecking cycle seems to be the best combination.

20231202_200253.jpg

Once the slot has been milled to depth. The "blocked" handle can be profiled, to blend the 4 sides into a comfortable handle.

20231203_153939.jpg

20231203_154027.jpg

Blades with tang are cut from a flat ground file.

20231126_162616.jpg

Last edited:
Those are great knives Dave! One in my stocking this year wouldn't hurt my feelings [sly]

Back