Carving Question

Rocky

Hey all you carvers,
Just a quick question about cutting out the rough shape from a block of wood or cork.
What do you use to cut out the rough shape? My books say to use a band saw, but I haven't seen too many band saws that will fit a n eight inch piece of wood for cutting out the side view.
Thanks,
Rocky

Most name brand bandsaws have an extension kit that allows you to cut material up to about 12". The standard saw for carvers seems to be a 14" bandsaw with a 6" riser kit...it will take 105" blades. I have a Grizzly and used to have a Delta. Look over Delta, Grizzly, Power-Matic and Jet tools and you should find one that fits your needs and budget.

Rocky

I started out with a bufflehead for the primary reason that it would fit through my saw without buying a riser block. I went ahead and bought the riser block (which I had been dying to do for years anyway, just needed a good excuse). I have a older blue Jet, and the riser (new) is white. Looks funny but works fine.

basswood004.jpg

There was an issue with the guide rod not being machined right when I bought the riser kit and the dealer worked long and hard to make sure I got a good piece to replace it. I think Jet's quality, along with any other companies who import, has really gone down hill. I have had the Jet saw for over 10 years and untill this quality issue I would not have hesitated to recomend one, but I don't think today's machines would compare with the one I bought.

If you are just starting out, and have access to a smaller (6" cut depth) saw, try a teal or buffy.

Good luck, and have fun
Chuck

Or you can cut the body in half and glue it back together. I have a 12" Craftsman (it was free) that does not have a riser kit. It is one more step in the process and you have to make sure you line up the pattern on both sides but it seems to be working for me.

lee answered your question most people us a riser block. I don't cut a side profile at all. I may shave some execess off freehand with the bandsaw but thats it. always more than one way to skin a cat.

Back