Chasing cripples - Sneakbox: shotgun security

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
OK, I have my first season with the sneakbox behind me.....I have a baby buggy style dodger, I run the boat with a tiller extension in the left hand, and right hand on the dodger frame. When chasing cripples, I would like to have the shotgun accessible, so if the water is not rough, I have my shotgun on the dodger and my right hand secures the shotgun, and steadies me while running the boat. The first modification I want to make is a leash for the shot gun. Hate to drop the A-5 in the drink! Secondly I would like a means of steading the shotgun so I don't have to hold it in place. John Bourbon and I have traded emails, he suggested a shotgun/rifle bracket like might be used in a truck, like law enforcement has... mounted on the starboard side muzzle pointed slightly forward. I thought maybe a scabbard like on an ATV, but to secure it it would need to point down at the hull. Not ideal if there is an accidental discharge!

What do you guys do/use? Plenty of time to mull it over, but interested in what others might have tried.

Perhaps the easier solution is to spend the money on hevi-shot, and have fewer cripples to chase!

Dave

The first thing that came to mind is a punt gun. Outside of that smart-elbow remark, I've got nothing...but I'll be interested to see what the results are.

One idea is a kayak paddle leash I have one on paddle and my shotgun when I'm in my kayak just in case I roll over. Can't give to much of an idea on the shotgun mount my state doesn't allow the gun to be uncased while the boat is under power, but mack's prarie wings has one called the gun grabber that could be what you are looking for.

In the state of new jersey it is not legal to have a loaded gun when under power, but i do have a gun rack in my cockpit to secure my cased gun. A good dog is the answer imo...

Rick, while I certainly agree a trained retriever conserves game, there are unfortunately crippled divers, and conditions where it is not prudent to send the dog. We have had our share of ice this season, I have had to break ice to get cripples that have gone under it and died...and I have lost some birds that I assume went under the ice. I would not let my dog try to make those retrieves! And from the boat/blind, it is not always seen what is out 40 or 50 yards or more....

But back to the comments in NJ.... how can you chase a cripple with a cased gun? If cased, I assume they also intend unloaded? Is there no allowance of recovery of game? Wow... that complicates things greatly.

Dave

ok guys im confused one post says gun has to be cased while under power and the next post says it cant be loaded while under power in sneakbox(in New Jersey)can somebody tell me where i can find the answer.if you guys are right that means if I cripple a duck or goose that lands 75 yards from me and starts swimming I have to unload my gun,put it in my case start my motor ,chase him shut my motor,wait for my forward motion caused by motor to stop then load my gun and hope the duck or goose waits for all this.

The simple answer to all your New Jersey laws would be call your local game warden.

This is taken right from the rule book.

persons shall take migratory game birds
[font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]:
y the aid of baiting, or on or over any baited area, where a person knows or reasonably should know that the area is or has been baited.
[/font]
[/font]Baiting [font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]means the direct or indirect placing, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of salt, grain, or other feed that could serve as a lure or attraction for migratory game birds to, on, or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them. [/font][/font]Baited area [font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]means any area on which salt, grain, or other feed has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, if that salt, grain, or other feed could serve as a lure or attraction for migratory game birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Any such area will remain a baited area for ten days following the complete removal of all such salt, grain, or other feed.
ith a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machinegun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance;
„h With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells.
[/font]
[/font]Exceptions: In New Jersey, shotguns capable of holding no more than 7 shells are permitted during the September Canada goose season and the Light Goose Conservation Order.
„h​
[font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]From or by means, aid, or use of a sinkbox or any other type of low floating device, having a depression affording the hunter a means of concealment beneath the surface of the water;

¡@
„h From or by means, aid, or use of any motor vehicle, motor-driven land conveyance, or aircraft of any kind, except that paraplegics and persons missing one or both legs may take from any stationary motor vehicle or stationary motor-driven land conveyance;
„h From or by means of any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached, or any sailboat, unless the motor has been completely shut off and/or the sails furled, and its progress there from has ceased;

By the use or aid of live birds as decoys; although not limited to, it shall be a violation of this paragraph for any person to take migratory waterfowl on an area where tame or captive live ducks or geese are present unless such birds are and have been for a period of 10 consecutive days prior to such taking, confined within an enclosure which substantially reduces the audibility of their calls and totally conceals such birds from the sight of wild migratory waterfowl;
By the use or aid of recorded or electrically amplified bird calls or sounds, or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird calls or sounds.
[/font]
[/font]Exceptions: In New Jersey, hunters can use electronic calls during: crow season, September Canada goose season and the Light Goose Conservation Order. [font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]
By means or aid of any motor driven land, water, or air conveyance, or any sailboat used for the purpose of or resulting in the concentrating, driving, rallying, or stirring up of any migratory bird;
[/font]
[/font]

Last edited:
I don't know about the laws in NJ or Va but in NY you can use your boat to chase down a crippled bird but the motor must be shut down before you take a shot at the crippled bird. Although you are allowed to have your gun loaded while underway, if you are still actively hunting, I would choose not to. For safety reasons I don't think it is wise to have it loaded while under way. It only takes a few seconds to load a round. It takes even less time to have an accident with a loaded gun especially if you have a dog in the boat.
Safey first

Jim your right i agree after almost 60 years of chasing crips (yes its true i dont kill them all stone dead)the only thing i try to do before i shoot is tilt the engine so there is no question from anyone that im not using motor.next year i better take my case with me so i dont have any problems.

In Illinois the chase for a cripple must be no longer than 500 yards. Good luck with a winged goose and a healthy current.

I called my dog back, unloaded, pulled the "camo" off my hidden boat, started the motor, fetched up Gunny and by then the goose had gone over 500 yards toward the main channel. However, I am a very poor judge of distance (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Anyway we finally got close, shut the motor off (kind of difficult to stop moving when you are in the main channel) and loaded a couple of shells. Just as I shouldered my gun at 499 yards, the goose flipped over and dove. He never came back up. I'm pretty sure he was trapped in the rip/rap pedestal of a red channel marker.

Here's a picture of the chase. My range finder said it was 500 yards. Ha!

note: The barge wasn't there during the chase.

16WEBGooseBargePespective.JPG

I suppose you would be eligible for a citation. I'm not sure what the rationale is for that rule.
--------

Last edited:
Looked in my 2C book and then remembered it is was in my Title 23 book.

New Jersey Statutes - Title 23 Fish and Game, Wild Birds and Animals - 23:4-24.1 Carrying loaded firearms in vehicle for hunting purposes prohibited; proof
23:4-24.1. Carrying loaded firearms in vehicle for hunting purposes prohibited; proof
No person shall, for the purpose of hunting for, pursuing, taking or killing, or attempting to hunt, pursue, take or kill any bird or animal, have, in an automobile or vehicle of any kind, any shotgun or rifle loaded with missiles of any kind, under a penalty of not less than $20.00 nor more than $50.00 for each offense.

For the purpose of this act, whenever a person is found with such loaded shotgun or rifle in possession in a vehicle, the same shall be conclusive proof that the person was in the act of pursuing or taking birds or animals.

New Jersey Statutes - Title 23 Fish and Game, Wild Birds and Animals - 23:4-24.1a Improper transportation of firearm in motor vehicle; penalty

23:4-24.1a. Improper transportation of firearm in motor vehicle; penalty
In addition to the requirements of section 1 of P.L.1939, c.172 (C.23:4-24.1), no person may transport, possess, or have in their control a firearm in a motor vehicle unless the firearm is unloaded and contained in a closed and securely fastened case, or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle. A person violating this section shall be liable to a civil penalty of not less than $50.00 nor more than $200.00.

Last edited:
Dave, I won't speak to the state regulations, only the Federal ones that should be repeated in the state pamphlets. Under Federal law, it is illegal to shot from a vessel under power or with forward momentum from a power source. John Livoti once again gets the prize for giving the correct answer under Federal law. It is never safe to operate a vehicle with a shotgun in the chamber. Every gun in my boat has the cartridge removed from the chamber before forward progress towards a cripple is started. Fred S. also takes the cartridge out of the action an immobilizes the bolt with the cartridge, Once the cripple is located and the momentum stops all hell breaks loose when the cripple resurfaces.

Dave, I won't speak to the state regulations, only the Federal ones that should be repeated in the state pamphlets. Under Federal law, it is illegal to shot from a vessel under power or with forward momentum from a power source. John Livoti once again gets the prize for giving the correct answer under Federal law. It is never safe to operate a vehicle with a shotgun in the chamber. Every gun in my boat has the cartridge removed from the chamber before forward progress towards a cripple is started. Fred S. also takes the cartridge out of the action an immobilizes the bolt with the cartridge, Once the cripple is located and the momentum stops all hell breaks loose when the cripple resurfaces.

Don't forget that it is OK to shoot a cripple from a boat under power in the seaduck area in selected seaduck states. I'm surprised that this isn't the case in NJ, since it is NY, CT, MA, ME.

Last edited:
Safety first. We chase cripples with a loaded gun, but there are two of us. If I were alone I would keep it unloaded. Too much can go wrong running the boat, standing looking for ducks, and trying to keep the gun safe.

Jim your really going to split hairs with this law a motor vessel is a motor vehicle, not really arguing how you chase cripples but won't give advice that tells someone else that would make them break the law. That would put my job in jeopardy, not going to happen.

Last edited:
Back