Chessie Breeders in NJ, insight needed?

CAnderson

As sort of a follow up to Jon Z's post on his next hunting dog, I would like to soliit information from the group here that may be familiar with Chessie breeders in the NJ area. I livce in SNJ outside of Phila, PA and am considering the next pup (spring of next year) to be a Chessie. I have never hunted over one, but continue to hear great things. I have always hunted over pointy dogs and versatile dogs.

I would like to get some opinions of breeders local to me that I could take some time to talk with, drive out to and visit the breeding stock and get to know the breeders a little bit.

I would like to keep posts above boards. Suggestions would be great. IF you have helpful insight or experience to add to any breeder that may be worth checking out, please do so. If there is something disparaging to say about any of the breeders, perhaps we can keep that more private, so shoot me a PM please. Not looking or wanting to bash anyone. Just want to get an idea of who might be worth looking at to learn about this breed and possibly selecting a new pup from.

thanks
cja

----------

Come to Montauk and see some great pups . Sadie and Big Gus just had a litter born last night. This is the Sire

duckhunting352-1.jpg

Gus Is 105 pounds of pure energy

Last edited:
Just an observation, but this seems to be a nice way to ask for info. Nice to keep things on the up n up and not get derailed by a debate. My compliments Sir. And the suggestion to go to Montauk is great. If not for the pup, its an interesting ride. Good Luck, Kevin.

#Also padding my posts, yuk yuk.

Not to jack the thread but i also might be looking for a pup next year (it is the one thing my mom wont let me bring home she wasnt too mad with all my duck boats)

Also Jack that dog is gorgeous i love the white patch

Thanks Chris Both Gus And Sadie are great gunning dogs. Gus has brouth back many a 12 pound goose from a half mile away on a dead run. For him the farther away they are the better he likes it. Both of them have geat dispositions . I can leave either one in the truck outside the IGA anf they'll hand them the keys. Sadie is light dead grass and about 80 pounds
PA240474.jpg

Check out Jeff and Joyce.....they have some very well bred, very talented Peakes. I know some will lift their nose to a field trial Peake but the lines are not that diluted. You could still go from a duck hunt in the am, to a trial mid morning and a show in the afternoon.

W. Joyce and Jeff Shaw
Bridgeton, NJ 08302
U.S.A.
856-453-8122
Jshawblackwater@aol.com
http://www.blackwaterchesapeakes.net

Last edited:
Initial plans we're to look at Redlion and Chesrab being they are the closest too me. So Jode, thanks for the heads up there.

Capt, got your PM. Thanks. I will give you a call tomorrow. Is Montauk out on the forks? Trying to remember my Long Island geography. Need to peek at Google maps.

And by the way Capt, nice looking pups.

----------

You cant go wrong with either Chesarab or Red Lion kennels. These folks have been breeding their lines for decades. Their dogs are conformationally very good and they are probably as much field oriented with their breeding as any good breeders around that area. If you want more kennel names look up Gundogbreeders.com. Try to stay away from the field only breeders, some of these people have bread so much drive and energy into their dogs that many are not very good pets. Remember you only hunt them a few months a year, they are your family the rest of the year. Rich

Rich- that is the truth. I have three kids at home still and one pointy dog. Everyone has to get along and learn to be good citizens. But when it is hunting time, it is game time.

Thanks for the additional input on those two kennels.

----------

If you dont mind driving a little, Google Pond Hollow kennel, Dyane Baldwin is probably one of the most Knowledgable breeders in the country and a long time friend. Have owned two of her dogs among our dozen or so chessies in the last 20 years. Also Longmeadow chesapeakes Laura Herzog is a breeder whose dogs can hunt in the morning and win shows in the afternoon. Last but not least is our dear friend who we co own a couple of chessies with Laura Waid, whose kennel name is Ches-Shores, My avatar dog with the canvasback in his mouth is our breeding, but about 3/4 ches-Shores. I dont think any of these breeders are very far from Philly, might be worth the drive. Rich

Rich-

Thanks for the additional kennel suggestions. I don't mind driving. Of my last two pups, one was from WA state and the other was from OH. A 2-3 hour drive wouldn't be much to be concerned with. I was thinking if I went with a Lab or a Chessie this time around, I would be certain to find some high quality duckin dog within this geographic area (NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE, VA).

My dog (black lab) is from Red Lion and she is a superb hunter, I would reccomend them they were very detailed and provided a wealth of information.

rich young has great dogs owned one my hunting partner has two great dogs. he'll be breeding this fall ready for my next hunting buddy

I've had my dog Jack for seven years. My son has his nephew now for two years. A friend just tried to get a puppy from th same breeder who'at the time had no puppies.
His name is Ken Keen. Hes in Carney's Point, Nzj and runs a small breeding kennel called Good O Farm. In thirty years of owning Chessies, I have never seen greater dogs. Amazing temperaments, fairly easy to train for a Chessie and retrieving machines. Jack Passie can attest to that. 50 plus birds a day is the norm for these dogs. I wouldn't think of buying a Chessie without talking to Ken. BTW, he's been breeding them so long, he looks like one! He breeds one hell of a dog

Last edited:
Back