Dave Parks - I need a picture fix

Joe Dunleavy

Dave,

I'm heading out west in about 10 weeks on a DIY elk/mule deer archery hunt. I know you usually have some of those type critters around the pond.
Can you give me a picture fix?

Thanks,
JD

I did one of those 2 years ago. Where are you headed? I went to Oregon and it was a blast even though we did not harvest while I was there. My buddies got a 500+ black bear and he was hunting elk. No BB tag shot it with his bow for protection.
Hope you dont mind that I'm not Dave replying..
Wish you all the best, ohh and keep your eyes out for those damn cats

P.

"life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog"

Joe,
Where in Colorado? I used to hunt the Flattops area around the south fork of the White river. Thousands of elk. Quite a few mulies also.
Good luck and have fun.

I have not hunted elk in a long time...........but if it will help get you in the hunting mood.............here's some pic's of what my duck hunt looked like a couple years ago on my friends dairy.

This was my home made "porta-blind" I made with PVC framing on one of my duck boat trailers.........works great, got a couple of greenheads that foggy morning.
Z-DairyElk-1.jpg

About 30 minutes before I took the above photo of the blind and mallards, I saw this view from inside the blind:
Z-DairyElk-2.jpg

I slipped the camera lens through the camo netting and got this photo:
Z-DairyElk-3.jpg
I sat there watching the parade of elk walk past my blind at 60 yards...and me with no slugs! This is one place where a guy needs a rifle in the "duck blind". This herd of elk feed on this pasture almost every night during the elk season and on real foggy days they stay later in the morning.

I have not shot a mule deer in a long time either. I like hunting here on teh place during the late muzzleloader season for our local Blacktails. The season is right during the rut and is almost a month long which gives me plenty of time to hold out for a nice buck like this 4X4 I took 3 years ago. So far he's the second larget Blacktail I've taken. I shot a larger 3X3 back in 1976, but this 4X4 had a nice rack and a huge body for an Oregon Blacktail. Took this 4X4 with a .50 cal. Great Plains flintlock at 35 yards. He ran 20 yards and fell dead with a .50 cal round ball through the heart.
Z-DairyElk-4.jpg

Have fun in Colorado this Fall and hunt safe.

Dave

My nephew and his two friends got there elks west of steamboat spring around haden in the first hour of there of the firest day of there hunt, I just got back from fort collens spent 19 days babby setting our new grant daughter.Have friends that live on top of the mt. in steam boat were the hot springs are,the hot spring good place to relaxs after a days hunt. Goot luck, Bill

Thanks Dave I knew I could count on you.

I've been in "training" for this hunt since 1/1 and I needed a little inspiration.

That's a nice Columbian blacktail you took there.

Oregon is one great state for hunting. I'd love to buy four tags everyear and have a shot at deer, cougar, elk, bear. Maybe someday I'll make it out there but it's a haul from PA.

Back