decoy mold question

LI Mike

ok with a lot of help from you guys i have successfully made a foam decoy thanks again. now i am in need of more help. i have the mold with the cup in the bottom like suck duck decoys. so should i fill the whole with foam or just keel it at the flat spots its a diver going to be used in the bay. thanks again for your help ...Mike

Last edited:
Mike,

I made a bunch of EPS foam decoys. Using epoxy on foam seemed like way overkill, so I used a combination of polyurethane glue & Liquid Nails adhesive. Both worked well for attaching heads and keels, with the Liquid Nails working well to filling voids and blending seams. With respect to keels I used Rex Ruth's suggestion - concrete filled PVC tube. On my "Suc-Bottoms" I had to first use a wood spacer to mount the tube lower for self righting. If I had used larger tube (heavier), the spacer wouldn't have been necessary. The flat bottoms didn't need the spacer to self right.

View attachment body style comparison.jpg

View attachment adding concrete.jpg

View attachment group shot.jpg

The plastic decking materials may work really well for keels. 10 -15 years ago I wasn't aware of them.

Scott

I used 4lb foam for the bodies and 8lb for the heads from uscomposits. The molds I got from r&r sports

You can run a 1 x3 on edge for the keel but in needs to be fitted and glued some even pin it.
That is how the allen decoys are made.

Gary, I made these over 10 years ago and I haven't a clue as to what the EPS beads go for now. I would probably want to work with the two part foam if I were to get back into it now. The big issue with two part foam is temperature. Working at temps of 75+F is best for full foam expansion. Here in CT that means summer or indoors only. Indoors you have the toxic vapors to deal with, got a hood? EPS on the other hand, if you have boiling water it's 212F (at least at sea level) and even if it's chilly outside you can boil up a batch. And there is the added benefit of no toxic vapors.

When I made them the was my cost estimate: "Neglecting the cost of the molds the average person should be able to make these decoys for between $4 & $6 each for ducks and $7 to $10 apiece for geese." This was based on 1# of beads/duck, 2#s/goose. Added costs were roughly 1#propane/decoy. I would make bout30 decoys in a day and burn 1-1/2 20# tanks. This was running 3 or more mold sets continuously. It also took a bit of vegetable oil and shortening, 3 SS screws and a SS fender washer for attaching the head and keel, a galvanized nail for bill reinforcement and the keel PVC & ready-mix concrete. I have no idea what these are at today's prices. I did have fun, especially the weekend Dr Steve came up and boiled decoys and smoked goose breasts with me.

View attachment Steve1.jpg

Damn we (Steve) were young!

Scott

All the molds I used were Decoys Unlimited. Some old flat bottomed and some suc bottoms. With Steve, I think we were running 6 molds, 2 mallard sucs, 3 divers (1 s, 2 flat), and a suc goose. In addition the heads, 3 diver, 2 mallard & 2 geese. The 55 gal drum limited us to 4 or 5 body molds at a time, heads fit in the cracks. By myself, 3 bodies and 3 heads keeps me running and may add to the over all time of each decoy but still resulted in additional decoys. By this I mean working 1 or 2 decoys I got a decoy out of each mold roughly every 30-40 min. Oil, fill, boil, cool, & remove decoy & head. Adding a 3rd mold stretched the time to 45-50 min each mold. Adding a fourth mold set to the rotation would not have resulted in increased production.

View attachment adjusting molds.jpg

Scott

Back