Decoy paint what to use

chad

Ok guys I need some help with decoy paint.

First off I don't carve my own decoys yet.

So what I have are plastic.

I'm trying to find some colors for mallards. Like the bills,head,and upper chest .

I'm looking for can paint not spray paint.

Do you have it mixed ?

Any help would be great!

Thank you

last year i painted some black ducks over plastic decoys all i did was clean it really good and painted with acrylics then i as the paint was drying i used a hair dryer i dont know if the hair dryer really made it adhere better but i mean i still have all the decoys

Although I am not sure what colors are available, today at the hardware store (Ace) I noticed they offered "Fusion" paint for plastic in brush on rather than the rattle can. Might be something to look into.

Call Lou Tisch at Lock Stock and Barrel. He lives in Michigan. Just tell him what duck your painting he knows off the top of his head what colors you need. He'll mail them out to you and your decoys will at least be the right color. I've never tried it buy I believe the prevailing wisdom is that his Flat Marine Enamels are great for painting plastic.

Chad,
Where in Michigan are you located? We're on the East side, alongside Lake St. Clair...within about 5 miles of the junction of I-94 & I-696.
We've got all the colors/premixed that you need. If you're close....come on over. If it's a distance, we can ship. If you're near Frankfort...my son will be running up there this coming weekend and I might be able to talk him into throwing the box of paints in his truck.
Let me know how we can be of service.
Lou
www.lockstockbarrell.com You can then scroll down to "FME color chart"
Colors needed for Mallards: Black, White, Dark Gray, D.Dark Brown, Chestnut, Dk. Green, Yellow/Gold, Light Brown, HMS Brown, Orange and that pretty much covers drakes & hens.

Last edited:
Back