Decoy Photos - Traditional Style Bufflehead

Geoff Vine

This little guy is hollow cedar and and Old Hollands.

Pieces and parts of the pattern are from Keith Mueller. I just had to do a Mueller inspired decoy in oils. Kinda like baseball and hotdogs. There are a few other influences when it comes to the paint, but hopefully I turned it into my own. I'm learning something every time I pick up a brush. Only a few colors, but a good exercise in blending and lining.

10-BH01-8.jpg

10-BH01-9.jpg

Geoff - Awesome! Our forefathers would be proud... Now you just need a ducker, a stormy kromer, a Model 12 and a cozy tuck in the marsh with a rig of those rascals and watch the butterballs pour in... Thanks for sharing brother! Pat

Geoff,

It seems as though many carvers struggle to have a style of their own. Something that says "this is from my hand alone". You've definately found it for yourself. Very nice, a real work of art. Have you ever done any flat work? Your detail doesn't seem to have suffered from switching to oils.

Amazing stuff Geoff,
You have the cleanest and most unique style I've ever seen.
This is another great bird with a new medium.
Nicely Done!! John

Since joining this forum last December I have been impressed and inspired by all the variety in the carving and painting. I am starting to realize that I am drawn to the simpler, traditional style carving.

The way you use the paint to define the bird is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Geoff! You have an incredible talent. Everytime I see one of your post I am excited to open it. And this one didn't let me down. What an awesome decoy.

Gary March

Back