Do members here consider finding books of their interests Hunting?

Vince Pagliaroli

Reading is a passion of mine that I can not get enough of. Winters here in Western NY can be times when I'm indoors more than I can take. Reading can help keep Cabin Fever at bay for me. Thank goodness for a bookstore only a short drive away that has "14,000 Used and Rare Books" at reasonable prices. I do my best to find new reading material well before winter cuz once fall arrives it's time for hunting & fishing as much as possible until the severe weather prevents it. So I try to "lard up" on books prior to the winter reading season. I doubt that I'm the only person on duckboats that does that. Book stores and other places are fair game hunting places.

Here are some recently found for the winter ahead (there will be more). The Dee Brown book I bought when it first came out, lent it out never got it back. Time to reread it...

Attachments

• books.jpg
    books.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240929_101422Sept. book.jpg
    20240929_101422Sept. book.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 9
Reading is a passion of mine that I can not get enough of. Winters here in Western NY can be times when I'm indoors more than I can take. Reading can help keep Cabin Fever at bay for me. Thank goodness for a bookstore only a short drive away that has "14,000 Used and Rare Books" at reasonable prices. I do my best to find new reading material well before winter cuz once fall arrives it's time for hunting & fishing as much as possible until the severe weather prevents it. So I try to "lard up" on books prior to the winter reading season. I doubt that I'm the only person on duckboats that does that. Book stores and other places are fair game hunting places.

Here are some recently found for the winter ahead (there will be more). The Dee Brown book I bought when it first came out, lent it out never got it back. Time to reread it...
Vince,
I have a used book store near me that is a gem. I come out with 4-6 at a time. Not a large section on the outdoors, but I highly value reading as a lifelong source of learning. I find it much fun just browsing. I read year round, not just in the winter. Of course here in NC, "winter" isn't.

Larry

I frequent several used bookstores in my area plus stop whenever traveling at any used book stores I can locate. I used to pass on my books mainly to my oldest brother but he passed last fall so I'm setting on 3 dozen plus dime westerns if anyone in interested .. free of course. I usually have 2 books going at a time. I seldom set down and read for hours....usually half and hour to hour. I also change up what I read. Go through periods of nonfiction and history then off to fiction for awhile. Lately been stuck on nonfiction / mystery and/or old west dime novels for a year or two. I find it very relaxing to set and read with a "real printed book" in my hands.

Vince~

Always a reader. I still read at least a book a week - mostly mysteries but always on the lookout for good biographies or histories. However, since I lost my right-eye vision 5 years ago I am pretty much limited to my Kindle. It allows me to select a larger font size - and the smaller page helps, too. (I can read just about anything but small font sizes tire my eye rather quickly.)

Luckily, most of my classic waterfowling books were printed in larger fonts and I can still enjoy re-reading them on occasion.

All the best,

SJS

Brad, I read just as you do and share many of those topics in addition to outdoors and sporting writing. I will also read a classic from time to time, and really like a good spy or intrigue yarn. Two or three books going. Reading is a way of life for me.

I enjoy reading but find it hard to fit it in with having 3 kids and other hobbies. Also have a hard time putting a book down and end up staying awake to long which affects the next day so I do have a few books on my phone to read when I have time and doesn't require me carrying a book around all the time not knowing if I'll have time to read that day.

My oldest son is a big time reader, I think he has read more books in his 11 year life than I have my 30 years.

I have made it a point not to read much for fun. I do read a good deal of research material. I figure that when i am thrown in prison for my political views, I'll have nothing to do but read and make license plates and shopping carts.

Back