Does Anyone Wear An Irish "Aran" sweater For Hunting?

Mike Trudel

I remember this type of sweater being written about in Zack Taylor's book, Successful Waterfowling.

All the natural oils are left in, so I'm told it is quite warm. They are "pricey" (not to those that wear King Of The Mountain clothing), and they will custom make big and tall, of which I'm both.

Just wondered if anyone had experience with them?

I can't vouch for the Aran sweater (the white might be good for snow hunting), but am a firm believer in Irish wool. Always hunt in the winter with one. I think layers are most important, and no stinking cotton. A mountain rescue instructor once told me: "Cotton kills", and that was enough for me. Synthetics and wool.
Dave

Mike,

Though I don't have an "Irish Aran Merino Wool" sweater. I do dress in other Merino wool when fowling. Two pairs of Merino Long Johns and two Merino sweaters. With a good windbreaker over the top I am rarely cold.

Pete

I would like to know where to buy the sweater -- I do have some VERY warm socks I picked up in Ireland that are natural wool and they are my warmest socks by far. Also, I wear Filson's Merino wool long underwear and find them far warmer than the synthetics. I am a fan of wool. Patagonia also sells Merino wool long underwear for about the same price as Filson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zack sung the praise of that sweater,and thousands of fisherman couldn't be wrong.There are synthetics now that keep you warm and you can wring them out when wet and they will still keep you warm.I say go for it.Good wool is hard to beat.Filson has some great ones in colors.

Jim,

Also check out Icebreaker. Their merino wool long underwear is wearing much better than the Filson and is about the same price.

Pete

www.ullfrotte.com I can't begin to tell you how good these wool garments are. I've had mine for about 5 years and they have never let me down. I have both the lite and heavyweight including socks. Pricey but well worth the $$$. AND it DOES NOT ITCH.
I quit synthetic since a guy I know had it melt into his skin during a fire in camp.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/url][/url]hey duck toller,
My wife and I went to the emerald isle for our honeymoon in 1994 and I purchased a great wool sweater while we were in Donegal...I've used it ever since, it has worn very well and it's been worn for duck hunting, deer hunting, to work and even in more civilized situations (lol).​
Been the best clothing investment I've ever made...​
Regards,​
Jeff​
[/font]

I prefer fleece over wool but I am in a much warmer climate. As hot as it is right now I need a/c to duck hunt.
Front through here tonight,brought a teaspoon of rain.Don't know how to stay cool enough tomorrow.Probably camo T shirt and shorts.Was barefoot in the lake last Monday.
Good shooting tomorrow, Les

Back