Dog blind recommendations

TimJ

I do a little field hunting and pass shooting and would like to have a blind for my pup to hide in. Are there any that you would recommend or that I should stay away from? I was looking at something like the Mutt Hut or the GHG dog blind.
Anyone ever build their own? I've thought about just using a couple fiberglass stakes and some netting. It's usually above freezing when I field hunt so a lot of protection is not needed.
My dog is tall, over 25" at the shoulders and weights about 60lbs.
I've been working on place with Deuce and handling from a little distance from me. Deuce retrieving I need to get him use to a blind now.

Tim

Hi Tim.
I was just in the same place as you, looking for a blind for my lab who runs about 68 ponds. After doing a lot of research and reading testimonials I chose the Field Bully made by Rig Em Right. A little more money than I wanted to pay, but I figured she was worth it. The big selling points for me was the ease in setting up and taking down. No pins, rods, hinges, or poles to break. Made of all metal. And it has a floor to keep her out of the mud/muck. The A-frame design looks like it will blend in better than those with square tops. She goes in and out with no problem. Check it out and see what you think. Good luck. Jim

Second on the Rig'Em Right Bully Blind. I jst got one for my Lab and it is awesome. Really easy to use and well made.

Tim, that retriever of yours is a dandy. I like what you have done with him. There is no doubt that Deuce will be ready for this upcoming season for ducks and pheasants.
Al

Thanks Al. Last night we worked on getting into a blind without having a blind yet, a patio chair stood in for the part of the blind. Deuce under a chair
Hopefully he will be ready for some serious pheasant hunting this fall. He is steady to wing now when I use a pigeon but I'm not sure what will happen when a big wild rooster flushes in front of him...even I'm not very steady when a rooster flushes. :)

Tim

WAITTTTT A MINUTE....many experts say that ducks and geese are not one bit afraid of a dog sitting in the open and advocate just letting the dog sit in the open on the deck......must be true cause I read it on the internet......so instead of messing with a blind for the dog what you really need to be asking for is a source for a large UGLY DOG costume so that you and the pooch can sit together in the wide open and not have to worry about all that ridiculous camoflauge.....

True Story.....

Steve

Tim,

This is a photo of the blind I have for my dog.
sport-pet-dog-hunting-kennel-blind-pop-up-camouflage-design-large-dog-kennel-to-90-pounds-camo-color-mesh-windows-and-door-dog-sees-out-animals-can-t-see-in-for-hunting-fishing-car-truck-boat-home-outdoor-sport_3319745.jpg

I purchased it several years ago at Blaines Fleet Farm for 10.00 dollars. I have not used it for hunting but have used it in my wife's vehicle when she has needed to transport my dog. I'm not sure it is made any longer but it sure is nice in that it folds up very compactly. The box size is about 3 inches thick and 16 inches square. Opened up the kennel/blind is 25H X 25W x 40D It is spring loaded and self erecting, thus very quick to deploy.

Steve, I didn't say it was to keep the ducks and geese from seeing him. I have compassion for my fellow hunters. I'd hate to make them jealous. Its the same reason I sometimes wear a mask....while hunting that is.

Dave,
That actually looks promising if they are still made. I normally only have the opportunity to field hunt a few times a year. I'd hate ri put too much into one...then I'd have to hunt even more. :)

Tim

Tim...spoken like a true "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder" person.....
I've got a couple of the blinds that Dave has...one of them never used....they're in Washington and I'm in Florida, (until a week from next Monday)....if you can wait till I get back to Washington and find them I'll send you one....you can use it and see if it will work for you.....if it does you can take Dani and me on a Pheasant hunt this Fall when we're in S.D. and we promise we won't talk out loud about how many more birds Drake finds AND that will be our "thank you".....the uppity kraut dog requires something more sophisticated then you can still take Dani and me Pheasant hunting and we will tell everyone how much superior a Lab is and we'll leave you all the Grain Belt we have left over as your thank you........Hopefully the hairy Kraut will be happy hiding under a chair till I get back to Washington....
Steve

When are you going to be in SD? I thought you were going to be here earlier in the more grousey part of the fall.

Tim

Dani and I will be in your neck of the woods earlier than Pheasant Season I guess.....late Sept. early October....a lot depends on what the Montana sage grouse season is......assuming things go as planned she'll leave drake with me when she flies home and Drake and I will spend a month or so in Montana, N.D....burn my final five days in S.D. if things work out......don't have to get Drake back to Dani till Duck season and that's not till the week before T'giving so I won't be any hurry to get him back.....

Steve

Back