double ended marsh boats

Mike Frak

Hi new here just love the site very informative.Just some background about me Ive been a guide in the St clair marshes canadian side for 35 plus years. Love punting or poling in the marshes and have been thinking about building either the devlin pole boat or the glenl duck boat anyone have any expierence with building either one of these,would love to see some pictures if anyone has some I also have an old ducker that id like to fix up its in pretty bad shape. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Just want to make the ducker water tight as it leaks alot. I was thinking some kind of epoxy coating on the outside or pickup bed liner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hi Mike,

Welcome to our home on the net.

Here is a thread of the Poleboat I built last summer. http://duckboats.net.nmsrv.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=123041;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_expanded

Here is the continuation thread of the same build: http://duckboats.net.nmsrv.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=126154;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

I used the boat on several trips last fall and found it to be very stable and easy to paddle with a kayak paddle. Didn't try poling it at all.

If you're wanting to pole back in the marsh you might want to look at the Kara. It's perfect for shallow water with vegitation, long as we're not talking about big open water to get there. Then I'd go with the poleboat. I pole mine without issue. FYI It is tippyer than the Kara.

Hi Mike, Welcome to the best sight on the net(IMHO). I also built a Poleboat and it has become my favorite duck boat for most of my hunting. Pete built a lightweight oneandmine is more to spec. I alsso added a transom that carries a 4hp. Evinrude for longer trips. A kayak paddle is my prefered propulsion. See my avitar for a pic of mine. I have a large set of build pics if you are interested. Good Luck

Wow thanks Pete that tutorial is a great inspiration im sure ill be asking more questions once I decide on which one to build.That boat looks like it would punt real nice.I learned how to punt in boats similar to that cant beat a good wood boat thanks again Mike

Thanks Mark sure would be nice if some of u lived closer so I could try these various models out That Kara looks good too.

Thanks for the reply Tom I might take u upon the offer of the pics It will be an interesting summer project for sure thanks again Mike

Back